Low idle and SLIGHT hesitation...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Low idle and SLIGHT hesitation... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, this is for a 2006 WRX 4EAT. Car has 50k on it, and other than this issue, everything runs ...

Low idle and SLIGHT hesitation...

Well, this is for a 2006 WRX 4EAT.
    Car has 50k on it, and other than this issue, everything runs great. No burning oil, still gets full boost, and still feels great. No hesitation or mis while driving.
    My only SLIGHT issue is at idle. This could be while in park, or even in D not moving(on the brake). When it is in park, the idle sits STILL at the middle line, maybe a tad past but not much(again it is still). When in D and not moving, it drops down a tad, and slightly lower the middle line. Again both idles are still, but every now and again, you feel a slight hesitation/burp(more when it's cold start). Once it warms up, it is less often/less noticable. Motor sounds fine/normal, but every now and again, you will feel a slight hickup in your seat. Again this is very slight, and maybe not an isseu, I just want to make sure though.

What could this be?
    Again car has 50k. Just purchased the car and have no clue what was done in the past. I changed the air filter, oil and oil filter. Other than a STI catback, car is bone stock.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by REDREX02; 05-13-2008 at 06:32 PM.
    2006 OBP STI
    WANTING STI trunk/lid for my WRX trunk and lid!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone?
    2006 OBP STI

is there a clicking noise when you not moving?
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

No clicking to my ears...
    2006 OBP STI

Have you done any mods to it?

STI catback
    2006 OBP STI

Well the only thing i can think what was wrong mine was my injectors were dirty and there was enough fuel going through at idle and there was a clicking and that made my car idle low.

I Support ClubWRX
    Try replacing the spark plugs and fuel filter.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Well I just swapped the plugs with OE plugs, gapped em to .29. The fuel filter is not serviceable on the 06-07...
    slight hesitation/miss is still there.

Now it is only happening when I am at a light or not moving with the car in D. Looking at the tach, when it is in D, and I am not moving, the rpm's seem to be the culprit. It sits right in between the smaller dash under the middle one and the 0 dash. If I turn on the AC to bring the rpm's up a tad, it goes away.

What could this be...?
    2006 OBP STI

Sounds totally normal. Boxer engines don't idle rock solid like inline motors do. A little dip every couple seconds is normal. If you notice any change in the driving dynamic or if the car stalls or bogs, that's when you need to worry. I don't think it's anything abnormal though. All 3 WRX's I've owned have done it...

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Sounds totally normal. Boxer engines don't idle rock solid like inline motors do. A little dip every couple seconds is normal. If you notice any change in the driving dynamic or if the car stalls or bogs, that's when you need to worry. I don't think it's anything abnormal though. All 3 WRX's I've owned have done it...
    I had a feeling it was normal. I have yet to have any kind of problem while driving, under boost, or even ill effects on gas mileage. My plugs did show something goofy. They electrode was a rusty red color. I found that it is due from something in gasoline, an anti knock additive. It is called MMT or something. From what I have read it isn't harmful for the motor, nor is it a sign of abuse or anything.
    Any opinions on this?
    2006 OBP STI

Quote Originally Posted by REDREX02 View Post
    I had a feeling it was normal. I have yet to have any kind of problem while driving, under boost, or even ill effects on gas mileage. My plugs did show something goofy. They electrode was a rusty red color. I found that it is due from something in gasoline, an anti knock additive. It is called MMT or something. From what I have read it isn't harmful for the motor, nor is it a sign of abuse or anything.
    Any opinions on this?
    You have pics? A little orange color is not bad. Things you want to worry about is what looks like silver salt built up on the tip of the plug. That's piston splatter caused by detonation. Also, a whitish haze over everything can be indicative of a lean condition. Dark soot everywhere means you're running rich. Aside from those three things, a little discoloration is to be expected.

I've had a similar issue and have done alot of searching on it - I think it might be a dirty IACV sensor. Mine has had a slight stutter at idle for a long time, car runs fine - I am due for the 90,000 mile service soon though, so I'm curious to see if it persists.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I've had a similar issue and have done alot of searching on it - I think it might be a dirty IACV sensor. Mine has had a slight stutter at idle for a long time, car runs fine - I am due for the 90,000 mile service soon though, so I'm curious to see if it persists.
    06 WRX is DBW. May be an issue on yours, but not on his.

First off, thanks you Timdog for the quick and helpful replies!!!

Second, there are not any signs of running lean, detonation, silver salt or anything like that. Best way I can describe it is it looks like a factory color Subaru...or even the mounatins in Sedona AZ...Sedona Red! HAHA.

Taking pics now...
    2006 OBP STI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast