What happens if you dont run premium?

This is a discussion on What happens if you dont run premium? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I already know I will be using the highest premium available around me at all times when i get ...

What happens if you dont run premium?

So I already know I will be using the highest premium available around me at all times when i get my subie, but my friend just bought a 2000 Prelude and it says premium fuel only as well...only he says he only puts in unleaded plus. Im sure the same thing happens to a both a honda and subaru, but how long until you notice engine problems/bogging?
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    So I already know I will be using the highest premium available around me at all times when i get my subie, but my friend just bought a 2000 Prelude and it says premium fuel only as well...only he says he only puts in unleaded plus. Im sure the same thing happens to a both a honda and subaru, but how long until you notice engine problems/bogging?
    you'll notice a problem when your turbo spools and your engine detonates.

Big diff between an N/A car and a Turbocharged car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just don't do it!

Going against the owner's manual of the car is like nailing a hooker without a rubber - it's not intelligent.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

don't blame the car if it effs up on you.

The ECU will just sense knock and pull timing. the only thing that will happen is your car will lose power and feel doggy.

so the honda will just get boggy your saying? any specific time length?
    Tyler - Aspen White 04' STI
    Blobeye Syndicate #40
    Stage 2 - 312HP ~ 339 lb ft. torque
    Live Gamertag - TMANN05
    NOTE: If you run a turbocharger beyond itís compressor efficiency range, it will turn into a flame thrower.

Until he starts using premium again and the ECU has time to relearn or he resets it.

Quote Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post
    so the honda will just get boggy your saying? any specific time length?
    I used to own a 97 prelude, and I can tell you that you run premium because of the vtec, I know that there are some that can run it without but the motor feels SO sluggish, its not worth it to run anything below
    Huh... Didn't know you couldn't do that...

I don't see a good reason not to run premium gas. After spending so much money on a decent performance car why skimp on the $1-2 per tank of gas when that little amount of money can add so much extra fun!

If dont run 91 or better your injectors will need to be cleaned out more then if you ran 91 or better all the time. It's no worth the time and money not to run 91 or better.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

Thats not really true unless you're running no-name gas. Run any major brand name gasoline and the injectors will be fine, especially if you run some good injector cleaner through a tank a gas every year or two.

Your engine will detonate if you run aggressively on low-grade fuel. The ecu will pull as much timing as it can to prevent this from happening, which essentially lowers your horsepower. By pulling timing, the car will have higher exhaust gas temperatures which will put additional stress on the exhaust and turbo system. There is a threshold for how much knock correction the stock ECU can make. Once it is at its lowest possible settings it has no more knock correction. Go out on a cool night with a tank of crappy gas and run the car hard and the ecu will be up against a rock and a hard place. Detonation will likely occur and can cause potentially serious internal engine damage. It's just bad business.

A car like a honda does not have the same dynamic compression ratio as a WRX. There is no turbo system in a honda forcing highly compressed/hot air into the motor. A honda can pull timing and run okay on bad gas, but even the best ecu safeguards cannot save a turbocharged motor from every scenario when you run poor quality gas. As far as your injectors go, they'll be fine as long as you are running a national brand of gas. Mom and pop brand gas is usually why you see clogged fuel systems. Running 87 octane from an Exxon station is not going to do bad things to your injectors...

~Tim

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Your engine will detonate if you run aggressively on low-grade fuel. The ecu will pull as much timing as it can to prevent this from happening, which essentially lowers your horsepower. By pulling timing, the car will have higher exhaust gas temperatures which will put additional stress on the exhaust and turbo system. There is a threshold for how much knock correction the stock ECU can make. Once it is at its lowest possible settings it has no more knock correction. Go out on a cool night with a tank of crappy gas and run the car hard and the ecu will be up against a rock and a hard place. Detonation will likely occur and can cause potentially serious internal engine damage. It's just bad business.

A car like a honda does not have the same dynamic compression ratio as a WRX. There is no turbo system in a honda forcing highly compressed/hot air into the motor. A honda can pull timing and run okay on bad gas, but even the best ecu safeguards cannot save a turbocharged motor from every scenario when you run poor quality gas. As far as your injectors go, they'll be fine as long as you are running a national brand of gas. Mom and pop brand gas is usually why you see clogged fuel systems. Running 87 octane from an Exxon station is not going to do bad things to your injectors...

~Tim

Very well put.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

If you dont want to run the good stuff buy a piece of **** car that dosen't need the good stuff.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

damage to get engine so pay the extra doller for the good stuff. by the way i have seen it happin to a newer sti.