Nocking miss fire detonation idk!?!?!?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Nocking miss fire detonation idk!?!?!? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 2002 wrx with 100k on it now and running 16psi with sti injectors on a turboxs ecu ...

Nocking miss fire detonation idk!?!?!?

i have a 2002 wrx with 100k on it now and running 16psi with sti injectors on a turboxs ecu with a 20g turbo 93 octane of course. im getting misfire codes in all four cylinders. the light comes on when it wants to but i never feel a change. when i reacher higher rpms near 6k itll flash. any reasons or ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You may need to change your coil packs and change your plugs.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

plugs are changed and whats the chances of all 4 pack being bad?

Quote Originally Posted by lou6251 View Post
    plugs are changed and whats the chances of all 4 pack being bad?
    Pretty good at 100k on a modded car running a UTEC.

So what codes, EXACTLY, are you getting and when do you get them and what are you doing when they come up? When you say that the CEL is flashing at higher rpm, is it like a quick flash-flash-flash-flash? That's the UTEC's indication that knock is occurring. This is bad, you don't ever want to see that happen.

We need to know the following to help:

-List every single performance mod on the car, including but not limited to: intercooler, fuel pump, clutch, flywheel, air intake, exhaust mods, etc
    -How many miles are on the car since the turbo swap? How long has this behavior been going on?
    -What map are you running in the UTEC? Is it custom tuned for your car? Did you get the tune or did you buy it tuned from the previous owner? Where, geographically, was it tuned? Where, geographically are you now? A change in elevation/humidity/temperature can cause knock if it is drastic
    -What are you using to control boost? Is it the stock solenoid or is it an aftermarket boost controller? Is it an aftermarket boost control solenoid like a GM, Prodrive, or Perrin unit?

Anything else you can mention about the mods or history of the car will help.

~Tim

Do you have a heat shield around your turbo? If you dont the heat from the turbo will fry the coil pack for cyl 3 because its next to the turbo. If and when you do change them and you dont have a heat shield around your turbo i would get one to help reduce heat in th engine bay. I have 128k on my 02' and thats what happen to me.

i bought the car last summer and it came with the turbo and the motor work so im not sure how its tuned or the miles for the turbo swap. since them ive cleaned the iac changed the tranny, water pump, crank pulley, timing belt, plugs crank sensor and fuel pump all to fix this and other random problems. this was all done within the past 5000 miles. the codes are p301 p302 p303 and p304.

Stock flywheel/clutch? Did you get the misfire codes before you put the lightened pulley on the car or did they start after you did this mod?

its an oem pulley and the clutch i never touched so idk and the flywheel is stock. this happened before all the things i listed that i did

Damn, I was hoping you had lightened pulley/clutch/flywheel because then I would have had a suggestion. You don't, so I have no idea Best of luck man, maybe take it to a professional and see what they think.

Have you ever pulled the injectors out and had them cleaned? Im telling you you should replace all your coil packs. Is there a heat shield around your turbo?

no but everything else is wrapped up to the turbo and 4 bad coils is crazy but ill look into it. it be simple if it were only one or just the 3rd

the injectors i would notice a loss in power

I would order the COBB heat shield and if you've changed the plugs and done everthing you could do and they still are misfiring then the coil packs need to be replaced. And as for the injectors ive always run 91 and they were still pretty dirty. I got them cleaned and noticed a difference once they came came back.

Order 1 new coilpack or get one that you know is good used from someone on Nasioc. Swap it in and remember what cylinder it's on. This is how the cylinders are numbered:

Rear of the car

You standing in front of the car

Drive around and see if you throw misfires again. If you do but it's only on the cylinders with old coilpacks, problem solved. If you still throw 4 misfire CEL's, it's not the coilpack. That would be my next step, short of doing a good review of my timing/fueling in the UTEC.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.