is my turbo blown?

This is a discussion on is my turbo blown? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; went to change my oil the other day and i was just doing a general checkup and i noticed oil ...

Registered User indurdenwetrust's Avatar

Unhappy is my turbo blown?

went to change my oil the other day and i was just doing a general checkup and i noticed oil dripping from the pressure tube for the boost hose off the side of the turbo...the hose with the restricter. Just a small drip..then later the bov started to sound fluttery and wierd. -it was blowing oil out. so IS THIS the TURBO? like the bearings or seals or is this a ring letting go in the motor? i kno i could take it to a shop to run a compression check but i wanted to find out first if there is a definite way to tell if it is the turbo itself? i never turned up the boost and the car only has a uppipe and dp and spt intake. so my first thought is turbo. any suggestions are welcome!!!!
    rod knock knock knockin on heavens door - trying to deal with it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

smoke out your exhaust? is it whining?miles?
    Just remember, capitalization and punctuation marks the difference between, "I just helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and, "i just helped my uncle jack off a horse"
    04 Wrx Wagon Cobb Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

73k miles yes smoke out the tailpipe....mainly when stopping and starting the turbo sound i dont recall but ill drive it tomarrow and listen closely----- blown turbo not too bad but a piston ring= bad bad

turbo

ya most likely the oil seal in side the turbo is leaking so ya need a new turbo.

yeah so i bought a junkyard replacemnet- checked for shaft play and inspected wheels, not in bad shape.....dropped it in and poof no more problems....no oil leaking.....i will save the turbo with blown seals and maybe send it to deadbolt....ran fine for a few days and then --ROD KNOCK....this is the second subaru that has given me rod knock...i just traded i9n my 05 2.5rs complelty STOCK and that rod knocked in FEB WTF??? god d a mned subarus!!! Im gonna probably build the block up or buy a short block and drop it in.