Strange Hesitation - Possible Miss - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Strange Hesitation - Possible Miss within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by SD_GR Consider removing the TPS connector, eyeballing it closely, and putting it back on. I almost wish ...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Consider removing the TPS connector, eyeballing it closely, and putting it back on. I almost wish you had a PO122 to complain about, that'd make everything simpler. I remembered this older thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...lp-please.html

I wonder if that's useful at all... without a code to go with, it's harder to troubleshoot.
    Well, I have never noticed anything strange when Datalogging. Always seems to be consistent in the Throttle %. Never falling off or anything strange.

I was looking through a log and noticed that my Base timing is 11.99* at idle, and I have dipped to 6* at idle once and its pretty consistent from 10-11.5* at idle. Weather has been about 65-70* out.

Could this be a sign of something?

I hate TPS' Hate them with a freaking passion. I've had so many problems with them on Honda's its not funny.
    Bugeye Mafia #157
    18g + 205 + E = 12.07@116

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok tonight I didn't get a chance to do a comp. test or FP.

I did do the Ground Wires. I logged nothing strange. But I came home and it was logging at idle, when I literally just Touch the throttle my timing dips all the way to 1.5* Total timing. Every time I just touch the throttle very quickly timing dips to around 1.5-4* total timing, with a base timing of 11.99 and once with a base timing mark of 23.99 (when the Base timing was at 23.99) the total timing was at 3.5*. There was less than .7 load and absolutely no knock correction.

What should vacuum be at idle? I'm at -9.17 with lights off and 8.57 with lights on. Is this typical? This is all datalogged with Enginuity.

Thanks

Well, after messing with things again tonight, I've noticed that my trans. mount is actually seperated... I'm sure this is not helping things out. Tom. I'm ordering Group-N Mounts, Trans Mount, Rear Dog Bone Thingy, and Differential Dampners. All Group-N. I'm also doing the fuel pump and Comp. Test tom night.

Maybe its a series of small stupid things, like axle+mounts+Clutch/flywheel= horrible feeling!
    Last edited by JSarv; 05-08-2008 at 07:15 PM.
    Bugeye Mafia #157

Similar problem

My '02 WRX with 122k miles (100% stock) has developed a similar hesitation problem. I only notice it while cruising in 5th and can't duplicate the problem on my own. I thought it was the cruise control unit but I have experienced the same thing without CC on. I commute about 20 miles to work each way and it may happen once every other day. It feels about like someone is briefly tapping the brakes and then it is normal again. I've never had a CEL and don't have any instrumentation besides a boost gauge and that doesn't fluctuate with the loss in power.

I think I started noticing the problem after running out of gas once about 10k miles ago (but it could have started before--bad memory). I replaced the fuel filter thinking something may have been sucked in from the bottom of the tank but still experience. Could I have damaged the fuel pump or clogged an injector? The car doesn't seem to be any slower or feel different under full throttle so they seem capable of delivering full fuel.

Ok since everyone went overboard on answering here, I'll ask another question.

I think I figured out what the above deal is. When I datalog I noticed sitting with the car off/on the TPS randomly goes from .46/.48 really really really really fast back and forth. When the car is off if I take it to say, 2.56v sometimes it will flicker between 2.56/.58v without any change of the throttle.

To top it off earlier I was checking with the car off and it took 1.0v before it showed any throttle % and at WOT it only showed 88.42% throttle (3.82V and flashing between .82 and .84)

Is my TPS bad?

Other than that the increments are smooth, nothing out of the ordinary no jumping or falling, but occasionally when its held perfectly still it jumps .02v back and forth insanely fast. Could this be A. Bad TPS or B.TPS going bad or C. Nothing.

If the TPS was going/bad that would explain my constant throttle surging and the huge dip in the Ignition timing at idle/blip of throttle.

I think if it was a fueling problem my A/F would go nuts. I just cant understand throttle tip in from idle, dropping all the way to 1-3*BTDC when just touching the throttle. Why would my ignition timing drop that far from a throttle blip at idle?
    Bugeye Mafia #157

That sounds logical, but I don't know what the voltage readings should look like so I can't tell you if they're abnormal. I would ask this question on Nasioc in the tuning forum, you'll probably get more answers there.

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    That sounds logical, but I don't know what the voltage readings should look like so I can't tell you if they're abnormal. I would ask this question on Nasioc in the tuning forum, you'll probably get more answers there.
    I did, doubt I get an answer

I copied that, it was originally posted in Nasioc so the "you didn't answer my question" part is NOTTTT for Clubwrx, yall are very helpful, just nasioc no one seems to want to help. O well I'll figure it out.

I about bet the TPS is going bad,
    Bugeye Mafia #157

Quote Originally Posted by JSarv View Post

I about bet the TPS is going bad,

So my thought process would be:

-Borrow one that you know is working properly from a friend with a WRX
    -Buy used one from scrap yard
    -Buy new one from stealership

If you can solve the problem just by swapping in a new one, sounds like you found your issue.

I am having a very similiar problem, mine is most noticeable in 6th. I have no codes but I haven't logged any data, I do not have software. I installed a boost gage and EGT and after the install it started. I found an exhuast leak fixed it, and it seemed to stop, but it is back now and I can not find a leak. Anyway, not to hi-jacking just trying to find out if you fixed it and wanted an opinion on this theory.
    Is it possible that since my EGT sticks out ~1/2 into the manifold by the #4 cylinder that it reflecting exhuast pulses to trigger knock? I plan on checking for leaks again and plugging the egt bung hole.
    Mods to car:
    20g, all supporting mods, perrin modded, fuel pump, larger TMIC, tunning by chriss at XX.

Quote Originally Posted by JSarv View Post
    Alright I posted this in Nasioc, but apparently you have to NOT search and ask a stupid question to get a reply. If anyone has any insight please help me out.

I'm going to do a comp. test tom. night and through my 255 pump in.

Sorry I don't feel like typing it again but here is the link

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Jerod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12