URGENT!!! MY WRX 1994 temp guage going up and down..Please help!!!

This is a discussion on URGENT!!! MY WRX 1994 temp guage going up and down..Please help!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi there guyz, basically since yesterday I have noticed my temp guage on my 94 wrx has been going really ...

Red face URGENT!!! MY WRX 1994 temp guage going up and down..Please help!!!

Hi there guyz, basically since yesterday I have noticed my temp guage on my 94 wrx has been going really high, unlike how it use to be in the middle, so from this I am guessing the engine is getting hot.
    I have checked coolant there is enough coolant in there, and the fans seem to be working as they bring the temp down once they come on, but then while driving the temp shoots back up again.

I have also noticed a few drops of water from somewhere and once i turn the engine off i can hear a hissing noise coming from sum where, does this mean i have a leak somewhere.
    Theres no puddles or nefing, just a noise like a kettle which goes away after a good few minutes when engine is off, is this a air leak???
    Any ideas??

Thanks in advance guyz

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by az_e11 View Post
    I have also noticed a few drops of water from somewhere and once i turn the engine off i can hear a hissing noise coming from sum where, does this mean i have a leak somewhere.
    Probably.

Find the source of the noise and the liquid. Post back if you need help fixing it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Maybe your water pump?

A few drops of clear liquid (IE Water) is normal when you have the AC on, because water freezes to the condenser.

Red face Re -

Hey guyz..
    I had a look and i think ive located the leaking pipe, as can see coolant on the pipe slighlty where its dried off, and the leak noise seems to be coming from that area once the car switched off.

So would this be the cause of my temp guage to be shooting up?? as it does come down when the fans come on.

I have put the following video up and half way through the clip u can hear the noise that i am talking about::

YouTube - wrx noise

Its coming from this area, any 1 know if that is the pipe down there that will need changin, if so is it hard to do??

Thanks in advance for ur help guyz

SHOOTING UP AND DOWN WATER TEMP... it sounds to me like ur thermostat is closed or stuck closed til its forced open by pressure not the heat like it is supposed to.... i would check that. first cheap and easy to change
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Red face

And also i dont know if this is a silly question, but when checking if i got enough coolant, do i top up from resovoir on the right hand side near the battery, or the other silver metal 1 more towrds the left of the engine bay.
    Whats the difference?
    As looking at them they both lead to the radiator.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by az_e11 View Post
    And also i dont know if this is a silly question, but when checking if i got enough coolant, do i top up from resovoir on the right hand side near the battery, or the other silver metal 1 more towrds the left of the engine bay.
    Whats the difference?
    As looking at them they both lead to the radiator.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    the one on the left side goes to the turbo. fill up from the resavoir... the coolant will be sucked in the engine as needed. check ur theromstat..
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Red face Re

To update I have now found the leak, however it is hard to locate which pipe exactli it is leaking from so am finding it hard to describe the hose to the parts department at subaru.
    The pipe is further down from the turbo it is near two other pipes and can be felt from under the car.
    Any 1 have a schematic diagram for the coolant system???
    That would of great help, not sure of how to go about this.
    Thanks.

Sounds like a water pump problem to me. I have a friend whos 2.5RS is doing this at the moment, and we have pinpointed the problem to the pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

Re-

Oh rite i see, i will have to look into that jjust to make sure its not the pump!!

has any one got a rough idea of wear abouts the water pump is located??

thankss peepz