Breaks/drivetrain sticks after wet weather?

This is a discussion on Breaks/drivetrain sticks after wet weather? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I looked around to see if anyone else had this problem but couldn't find anything. I don't remember having this ...

Breaks/drivetrain sticks after wet weather?

I looked around to see if anyone else had this problem but couldn't find anything. I don't remember having this problem with my 06 WRX making me think it's a brakes problem. Anytime I get my car wet (rain snow or even a car wash) I park my car in my garage and in the morning, I release the parking break, throw it in reverse and the car is stuck...I have to give it gas and let the clutch go slowly basically grinding the clutch away just to make it unstick. It is to the point I am afraid of just launching the car out of my drive way once it unsticks. And once it unsticks, the car is perfectly fine driving. Anyone else have this problem specifically STI owners but it might be with the WRX.

Considering I don't know what is causing the problem i just threw it in the general maintenance thread.
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the same issue. I'm guessing the parking brake basically weld's itself to the rotor due to the rust building up.

I dont give it any gas when this happens. I slowly release the clutch until the car pull's away. I imagine this causes less wear on the clutch as I dont have to let it out far at all to get the car rolling.

I've even sat in the seat and "rocked" back and fourth and that little bit of movement was enough to release the car.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Haha I have tried the same but when I wash my car it seems to be the worst and a simple rocking doesn't do any good. Mostly because I am spraying water directly at the brakes when I am cleaning the wheels. I should probably drive a mile or so to get the water off them. I will try to get it moving with only the clutch next time it gets stuck. Or I could just leave it in gear without the handbrake in my garage because it is level so no risk of rolling through the door.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

I Support ClubWRX
    I bet the cold has a lot to do with it.

The only time I've had a hand brake stick when it's not been very cold and wet outside is when the hand brake actually used the rotor pads (ours do not) and the pads were so worn the cable would travel all the way. Once I changed the pads, problem solved, but that's not your problem since our hand brakes use a mini drum.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I've had it happen in the cold/rain, but nowhere near as bad as you make it sound. Take that baby back to the dealer and have them look at it. Warranty FTW!
    '05 silver WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #28
    Raammat Soundproof Thread
    The Octane Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine nas happened in the winter, spring, summer or whenever they get wet.

At first I thought the e-brake has actually frozen itself to the rotor since it happened in the cold...then it happened in the summer.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I have had this happen. I usually don't pull my ebrake all the way to the top when I set it, I leave a few to keep from yanking on the connections every time I park (I park on flat ground, ebrake is just a formality). When it seems sticky, I'll yank it to the top a couple times and it loosens a bit. I definitely hear some creaking/groaning from my car when it's been raining really hard out the day before while I was driving. Nothing serious, any part with exposed metal is designed to either be rust-free or clean its own rust off (rotors, struts, etc).

My dealer, while the salesman are awesome and know about cars, the service people are idiots. (they still don't recognize the 07's ecu problems and one of the salesman i talked to says mine and the other 07 sti they have, have the problem.) So if I brought it in they would tell me something stupid like "we couldn't replicate the problem." I mainly just wanted to know if others had the same problem. I do tend to pull it to the top even on level ground which is very pointless when I leave it in gear as it is.

It probably is just rust. On a small side note, I stayed over at my gf's house on a rainy day and her dad came over the next day. He then said, "if you're going to stay over, at least drive your car the next day to get the rust off your brakes so I don't know you stayed over."
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1