Burning oil.....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Burning oil..... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a 02 WRX about 2 months ago. When I bought it, the oil was just changed, and ...

Burning oil.....

I just bought a 02 WRX about 2 months ago. When I bought it, the oil was just changed, and everything looked good. I have put about 1500 miles on it, and its a whole quart low. It does not smoke at all; and no leaks. Any suggestions?? Im almost debating on selling it.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02wrb View Post
    I just bought a 02 WRX about 2 months ago. When I bought it, the oil was just changed, and everything looked good. I have put about 1500 miles on it, and its a whole quart low. It does not smoke at all; and no leaks. Any suggestions?? Im almost debating on selling it.....
    How many miles on the car?

This happening is not unheard of (without it being a problem), but that is a touch excessive even for a WRX. By a whole quart you mean to the L sight hole? I think that is .5 quart. Also the dipstick is pretty finicky and hard to get a good read, car must be totally flat and wait a good while before checking. I find mine uses more after repeated short trips, 1500 miles is low for 2 months - you may be thinning it out with some gas. Also consider a thicker oil (within OEM specs) or different brand.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

what weight are you using? Similar thing happened to me about 3 months ago, noticed my dipstick was barely registering, i put in a little under a quart, havent burned any oil since. I changed the oil two days ago and the level was fine.
    '02 PSM WRX stg 2
    '67 camaro (my dad's, but hopefully one day i can delete these parenthesis)

bugeye mafia #161

The car has 87k on it. --And the po used mobile-1 10-30 synthetic, that is what I just bought. I have had previous cars (91 jeep wrangler) that had some blow-by, and you could see it in the air filter. With the subaru, its a little wierd. I would think that I would see some signs of buring oil; ie blow-by in the filter, smoke..... 1 quart every 1,500k sucks, so Im thinking its really not going to fix its self, and prob. going to get worse..... Let me know if anyone else has this problem, and what to look at....

Before jumping to conclusions, do this. Only ever check the oil after the car has sat for 8 hours or more. This means basically in the morning before you start it, 1st order of business it to check the level. Remember where it is and compare the next morning. If those two readings are the same or similar, use this method of checking your oil every time. This is what works for me.

Check it again in about 300 miles. If there is a change, note it but do not add oil unless it is literally BELOW the bottom dot. If it is above the bottom hole in the dipstick at all, leave it alone. Sometimes when you fill the car all the way to the top of the oil pan, it burns an excessive amount of oil. This means that you could fill the pan perfectly to the top hole in the dipstick and notice a visible decrease in oil level over the next week of spirited driving. In some cars, however, it will stabilize at a certain point and stop consuming oil...the engine almost knows how much oil it likes and burns it until it gets there.

Basically, my point is that if the car is burning oil, monitor it carefully using the exact same measurement process each time on a cold motor that has stood overnight. If it burns some oil, keep track of it but don't freak out until it's at the "Low" hole in the dipstick. It may very well stabilize somewhere just above Low and not burn off anymore.

Best of luck,

~Tim

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.