total loss of power at high rpm
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on total loss of power at high rpm within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey ya'll. I recently started having a problem with my 03 wagon. When I push the car (around 5k rpm) ...

total loss of power at high rpm

Hey ya'll. I recently started having a problem with my 03 wagon. When I push the car (around 5k rpm) I am experiencing a total loss of power. The first time it happened I thought just hit the rpm limiter and the car continued to run with no power for a minute or so. The second time it happened the engine totally died. I have also started to notice a loud hiss and the turbo seems to sound like a VW bug? Otherwise, the car runs fine... I am currently running a Cobb AP Stage 2, Cobb up- and downpipe, and a K&N air filter. The filter is relatively new, as are the plugs...not sure about the fuel filter. I tried digging around b/c I know you guys don't like to be asked the same questions repeatedly but I couldn't really find any specific to my problem. Thanks, in advance, for the help.
    2003 WRX wagon in silver
    Cobb up- & downpipe
    AP Stage 2
    Whiteline F & RSB; Prodrive springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    any CEL codes?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

weird i have the exact same thing going on. my 03 use to shoot me back into my seat when i first got it 3 weeks ago and now im feeling a total loss of power. i have a hissing noise also and have been told by mechanics its a vaccum hose leak, i thought it was coming from the turbo all along.

i was having a cylinder 4 misfire since i bought the car but it stopped and i got new plugs in today and there arent any codes being thrown

loss of power

Negative, no codes have been thrown...after the loss of power, the car runs fine with no indication that anything was ever wrong. I reflashed and babied the car for about a week hoping that it was just the ECU wrestling with the AP but I got on it yesterday and it acted like it wanted to do it again, i.e., it hesitated above 5500 rpm.
    2003 WRX wagon in silver
    Cobb up- & downpipe
    AP Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by scoobe View Post
    weird i have the exact same thing going on. my 03 use to shoot me back into my seat when i first got it 3 weeks ago and now im feeling a total loss of power. i have a hissing noise also and have been told by mechanics its a vaccum hose leak, i thought it was coming from the turbo all along.

i was having a cylinder 4 misfire since i bought the car but it stopped and i got new plugs in today and there arent any codes being thrown
    OK, so did you get it fixed? I suspected that it may be a vacuum leak but wasn't sure b/c it only happens when I push the car...it idles fine? Have you done any mods to the car? I thought it may have had something to do with the install of the uppipe...maybe a leak at the gasket?
    2003 WRX wagon in silver
    Cobb up- & downpipe
    AP Stage 2

my 06 is doing the same thing. just got the car about a month ago. i tried to put these headers and uppipe on but decided not to. so i bolted the stock parts back up. i have a catless dp and exhaust and havent gotten any CELs until i started messing with the uppipe. took it to the mechanic and they said it was the rear o2 sensor. i also noticed that since ive had the CEL i have had a loss of boost and a rather annoying high pitched sound when i get on it. im only pushing 5 to 6 psi now. where before the CEL it was about 11psi. i bought the perrin o2 simulator, wired it up, not sure if its wired right but it hasnt come back on yet. i still get the weird sound and loss of boost when i push the car. any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by RLR257 View Post
    my 06 is doing the same thing. just got the car about a month ago. i tried to put these headers and uppipe on but decided not to. so i bolted the stock parts back up. i have a catless dp and exhaust and havent gotten any CELs until i started messing with the uppipe. took it to the mechanic and they said it was the rear o2 sensor. i also noticed that since ive had the CEL i have had a loss of boost and a rather annoying high pitched sound when i get on it. im only pushing 5 to 6 psi now. where before the CEL it was about 11psi. i bought the perrin o2 simulator, wired it up, not sure if its wired right but it hasnt come back on yet. i still get the weird sound and loss of boost when i push the car. any suggestions?
    your on a mission to destroy that 06 huh?
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman

im on a mission to get it fixed... which is y im just gonna take it to the dealer. it just started last week. i just wanted to get some insight. i know somebody else with an 06 and he didnt have to go through any of this with same mods.

Quote Originally Posted by RLR257 View Post
    im on a mission to get it fixed... which is y im just gonna take it to the dealer. it just started last week. i just wanted to get some insight. i know somebody else with an 06 and he didnt have to go through any of this with same mods.
    dont take it to the dealer in the condition it is in, they will void your warranty instantly...

did you friend have engine management or a tune?

no he has neither a tune or em
    Last edited by RLR257; 04-26-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo

he has helix dp and exhaust. i have invidia dp and exhaust. thats it... both catless

catless 2.5l with no engine management is going to cause rear 02 and exhaust gas temp CEL lights and more.

as for you boosting 5-6psi, check for boost leaks and do a smoke test

it sounds like if it is mechanical its your turbo or a hose is loose

I Support ClubWRX
    Is your boost solenoid working properly?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    catless 2.5l with no engine management is going to cause rear 02 and exhaust gas temp CEL lights and more.

as for you boosting 5-6psi, check for boost leaks and do a smoke test

it sounds like if it is mechanical its your turbo or a hose is loose
    OK, let's not get offtrack here...me, me! What is this smoke test and will it help the poor OP? BTW, I don't have a boost gauge so I don't know what I'm running...
    Last edited by loosecheez; 04-26-2008 at 12:23 PM.
    2003 WRX wagon in silver
    Cobb up- & downpipe
    AP Stage 2

im just going to put the stock dp back on and take the o2 simulator off until im ready to get a tune or until i get an AP. maybe the loss of boost is a fail safe for having an open dp and in turn pushing more air over the rear o2 sensor than it was calibrated for. the first week or so that i had the dp on, i had no CEL, no loss of boost, nothing. then both came at the same time. so maybe they are linked some how some way. i read in one of the other forums that the 06-07 models are way more sensitive to bolt ones than the 02-05 models. found that out after i put the dp on though.

if i do get an AP though, i would have to reflash back to stock in order to get an OS right? or what's better, getting an OS pro tune or an AP pro tune?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.