intake replacement question

This is a discussion on intake replacement question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i installed the SPT intake on my '07 about 2 months after i bought it. was really cool and ...

intake replacement question

so i installed the SPT intake on my '07 about 2 months after i bought it. was really cool and loved the sound. but now...its just freaking annoying. i can barely hear the exhaust over the intake.

anyways, is it bad if i installed this and want to go back to stock and replace the SPT with the stock intake??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Shouldnt be that loud. Yeah you can switch, just be careful with the MAF sensor.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Slap a Blitz Nur spec onto that beeatch and dwell in perfect harmony.
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

hey

Yes you can swap the stock one back. Did you get it tuned with the aftermarket one? If so I would suggest a retune.

i have not ever had a tune on my car...and i've been wondering if it is necessary. i have a catback Invidia exhaust and SPT intake (w/heat shield). went in to check the price of a protune and they said $300. seems a bit steep to me, but do you think it'd 1) be worth it and 2) necessary for the performance and health of my car?

No you do not need a tune for a catback. The SPT/Cobb intakes do not require any sort of tunes, they retain the stock ID of three inches, therefore no MAF readings will be off. Your fine wether its stock or SPT, which ever you choose just install what you want.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

okay thanks for the info! i figure i'll just stick it out with the SPT intake...drives me a little crazy now and then but people seem to think it sounds so cool when they ride with me. maybe i'll just carry ear plugs in the car.