Wierd Oil on Dipstick problem

This is a discussion on Wierd Oil on Dipstick problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I got a 02 wrx w/ approx 75k on it. I am a tech for Ford so by ...

Wierd Oil on Dipstick problem

Hey guys, I got a 02 wrx w/ approx 75k on it. I am a tech for Ford so by no means I am I unfamiliar w/ many automotive problems but I am puzzled by one that has happened to me a few times now. On my subby I will check the oil, and it will be hardly on the bottom of the dipstick, one even not visable. This was enough to freak me out. Both times I added about .5 to 1 quart to the system to bring it to the L mark on the stick so I can drive it to work and check it out. When I check it after work the dipstick now is showing that .5 to 1 quart overfull..... As for the obvious questions, yes the car was perfectly level when I checked it both times, I don't see where in the system oil could be retaining. Has anyone else had this problem, or had a solution? I recently read that the oil line has a screen in it going to the turbo, although I keep a good oil change interval I wonder if somehow that line was not draining back to the pan with the engine off, don't think that possible though or my turbo would be toasty.
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You need to make sure that the car is in the same condition each time you check your oil, this will give you a more consistent reading. I always check mine when the engine is cold after the car has sat overnight. I do this before I start the car for the first time of the day, usually after 8 hours of being parked. This is my method. When I do this, I know that since I have an STi the oil should come up to just below the top twist of the dipstick.

Some people let the car get up to temp. or until the stock coolant gauge is in its normal cruising position. Then shut down, wait 1 minute, check. From this configuration/temperature the oil should be just underneath the full hole.

From the Low hole to the Full hole is about .5 quarts of oil. If you are at the bottom hole, this means that adding .5 quarts will bring you to the Full mark.

If you check the oil under the same conditions every time it will help alleviate any confusion. With a turbocharger AND an oil cooler in the system, there are a lot of variables that can change the reading you get off the dipstick, which in and of itself is of a poor design and inherently inaccurate.

~Tim

I notice this only after changing my oil, ill add the new oil and nothing shows on the stick, i wait an hour still nothing, after driving for a bit it shows up.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    if i leave my car overnight and check the oil it doesn't seem to give an accurate reading and always looks low
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    if i leave my car overnight and check the oil it doesn't seem to give an accurate reading and always looks low
    This is kind of impossible. After sitting all night the oil should mostly be in the oil pan... The car should read its highest on a cold motor that's been sitting.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    This is kind of impossible. After sitting all night the oil should mostly be in the oil pan... The car should read its highest on a cold motor that's been sitting.
    I agree i must have done something wrong but i cant imagine what.

it was right before i went for my last oil change and i had Royal purple in there, you would think i could see that

i need to start watching my oil closer, if i am burning it i really need to watch and keep it topped up.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~