Blown turbo seals??

This is a discussion on Blown turbo seals?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got a quick question. While this is probably not the thread to discuss this I'm going to anyway. I ...

Blown turbo seals??

I got a quick question. While this is probably not the thread to discuss this I'm going to anyway. I got and '04 Wrx with the following mods;

SPT Intake
    Invidia G200 CBE
    Invidia V2 Bellmouth DP
    STi Catless Uppipe
    Cobb's AP Stage II
    Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
    STi 1.3 Bar Coolant Cap
    Perrin IC Hoses
    STi TMIC
    Just recently I noticed Blue smoke coming from my cars exhaust I now have the car torn apart and found out that the turbo is leaking oil. Now here's my question Should I rebuild the stock turbo, get a new one (TD04) maybe a p&p or upgrade to a new one? I really don't have the money to upgrade right now. But in the future what can I do to help prevent this from happening again? A tune maybe? Sorry if I come off as an idioot but just looking for a little advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles on the car? How much boost were you running? My advice would be to pick up another stock turbo. They can be had used for a good price from the personal for sale section of any Subaru forum. I'm not sure if you can really rebuild the stock turbo...I would probably just replace it.

Welcome to our website! might be able to do a rebuild if you wanted to go this route. Buying a used td04 would be faster though and would involve less down time. If this is your only car, I would just buy used or upgrade (budget allowing).

~Tim

The car just turned 51k I was running 16.7 the max. on Cobb's stg.2 I would rather just replace it with a stock TD04 for now but would a P&P help any? The car is well maintained (well since I've owned it) it had no mods (when I brought it) and it sits more than I drive it as I have another daily driver. As i do drive it aggresively sometimes I don't push it to it's limits, drag race, or anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    How many miles on the car? How much boost were you running? My advice would be to pick up another stock turbo. They can be had used for a good price from the personal for sale section of any Subaru forum. I'm not sure if you can really rebuild the stock turbo...I would probably just replace it.

Welcome to our website! might be able to do a rebuild if you wanted to go this route. Buying a used td04 would be faster though and would involve less down time. If this is your only car, I would just buy used or upgrade (budget allowing).

~Tim

Just replace it with a stock turbo. A P&P will give some performance gains and faster spool but won't do anything to prolong the life of the oil seals. Seems like not a lot of miles for your turbo to die, but it's not unheard of. Best of luck.

~Tim

There is a kit that you can buy with all new seals and everything needed to do it. You shouldn't have much downtime. I have done a rebuild from start to finish in around 2 hours. Of course I had a lift and im sure that helped with the time but its not terribly hard just time consuming.

Thanks a lot fellas. Now would a P&P hurt the turbo in any way ??

Quote Originally Posted by dgriff992002 View Post
    Thanks a lot fellas. Now would a P&P hurt the turbo in any way ??
    No. If done by a reputable shop it can only help. If it is done in some guy's basement who has no idea what he's doing and is just hacking away at it with a dremel, you can over-port the wastegate and cause it to leak. This could potentially result in slower spool and might prevent the car from hitting your target boost levels.