Snapped!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Snapped! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ...so I was driving uphill yesterday and was trying to pass a truck before the lane merged...I was revving pretty ...

Snapped!

...so I was driving uphill yesterday and was trying to pass a truck before the lane merged...I was revving pretty high (didn't look at the gauge) and when I made it to the top...I noticed my car had stalled. I turned the key to start the car and it started right up, but I noticed the check engine light and battery light was lit up...I proceeded to drive it a few hundred feet and then noticed I had loss of steering power.

I pulled over and popped the hood and saw the power steering belt was shredded....question....should I be concerned that I broke anything else other than the belt or looking elsewhere to see if the belt damaged anything else in the car? As far as I know, it was just the belt that was easily visible....

Thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Spin the pulleys by hand that the belt runs on to see if they move freely, usually belts snap when an accesorry siezes.

Pull the codes too***
    Last edited by jeffmm06; 04-23-2008 at 10:42 AM.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

I would check all electrical wires, connections, plugs that are close enough to the belt, some may have been damaged when the belt snapped.
    I had my AC belt come off and it damaged my crank position sensor, which I had to fix, my car had a bad misfire but no CEL
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Like someone else said, just spin the pulleys and make sure none make noise or feel like they have resistance. Check and make sure your pulleys all seem alligned and are tight. If this is all good it sounds like you were due for a belt and missed your appointment
    2002 SRP wrx mt sedan
    AP v2.0 stg 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.