timing belt problems
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on timing belt problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey im new to this forum but need a bit of help. all help will be appreciated. My nov 97 ...

Red face timing belt problems

hey im new to this forum but need a bit of help. all help will be appreciated. My nov 97 wrx is due for a timing belt change and i dont know much about these i am told that there are two to be replaced and someone else has told me there is only one which need to be replaced. any help will be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanfevola View Post
    hey im new to this forum but need a bit of help. all help will be appreciated. My nov 97 wrx is due for a timing belt change and i dont know much about these i am told that there are two to be replaced and someone else has told me there is only one which need to be replaced. any help will be appreciated
    There is 1 timing belt.Maybe they thought accessory belts,which there are 2 of.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    There is 1 timing belt.Maybe they thought accessory belts,which there are 2 of.

For a total of 3 belts. I would replace all 3 if it is time for a timing belt service.

The timing belt is a 3 out of 4 wrench job difficulty wise. I have done it, its not too bad, but this isn't the first timing belt I have changed either. I recommend buying the factory belt as it has alignment marks on it that makes life easier if you are gonna attempt it, or take it to a shop if you are unsure.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks alot for that i appreciate. While were at it ive heard theres alot of opening up in the engine to be done to fit it and as i have no clue as to how to do it i will be getting a prof. to do it. Are there any other parts i should consider replacing while im in there? i am planning on a complete rebuild in about 6 months as the car has a fair bit of kays so nothing too serious

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanfevola View Post
    Thanks alot for that i appreciate. While were at it ive heard theres alot of opening up in the engine to be done to fit it and as i have no clue as to how to do it i will be getting a prof. to do it. Are there any other parts i should consider replacing while im in there? i am planning on a complete rebuild in about 6 months as the car has a fair bit of kays so nothing too serious
    Have you kept up on your regularly scheduled maintenance?

With the timing belt I'd change the water pump. Spark plugs too if you haven't recently. Also change the Timing belt tensioner. Consider a fuel filter as well.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.