Where to jack the car
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Where to jack the car within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just recently bought jackstands, as this is my first car that I couldn't drive up on ramps (front spoiler ...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Where to jack the car

I just recently bought jackstands, as this is my first car that I couldn't drive up on ramps (front spoiler to low to ground). The owners manual says to pick the car up from the side right behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels. I would prefer to pick the car up somewhere in the middle so I can more easily manuever. I have a nice floor jack and good stands.

Where should I put the jack?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can jack the car on the center of the crossmember. Just make sure you put the jack stands on the sides regardless.

Do what the manufacturer says. Lifting the car from the center places it on a fulcrum to easily tilt to either side. The OEM normally knows best about their own cars, and therefore, advice from them should be heeded. If you HAVE to lift the car from the center, you would have to get a crossmember, right in the center, may be kinda hard on the front. You have to be careful doing this though, I would heavily advise against it!!!

DUB
    I had the same questions. This thread may help.

Front: Put the jack on the crossmember, near the rear of the motor.
    Rear: Put the jack under the rear diff.
    Jackstands: Put them where the owners manual shows you to put the emergency roadside jack.

That is what I do. So far I havn't broken anything and the car hasen't fallen on me.

Have you tried putting a 2x4 at the base of the ramps? I had a low Acura that I used to get up on ramps doing that, the 2x4 allowed the front to get up high enough that it did not touch the ramp, even with a lip on the car. It was pretty low too.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    I had the same questions. This thread may help.

Front: Put the jack on the crossmember, near the rear of the motor.
    Rear: Put the jack under the rear diff.
    Jackstands: Put them where the owners manual shows you to put the emergency roadside jack.

That is what I do. So far I havn't broken anything and the car hasen't fallen on me.
    Thanks for that thread - I don't know how my search didn't find that one.

Do you have a picture of where you now jack the car? I was thinking I was going to pick the car up by the subframe (where you circled), but I had a fear that since it wasn't solid steel that it may bend.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

DUB
    I've got some parts on the way. When I install them I will be sure to take pics of jack/stand points for you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.