AC/Heater problems...

This is a discussion on AC/Heater problems... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About 6 months ago something happened... The A/C no longer works on the knobs 1-3, but will work on high ...

AC/Heater problems...

About 6 months ago something happened...
    The A/C no longer works on the knobs 1-3, but will work on high power (4). Also, the heater does not give out warm air if the car isn't driving. If i'm sitting in traffic and the heat is on, it will go luke warm. I believe the same is true with the A/C. It will be colder if im driving. What could this be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What do you mean by "no longer works on 1-3?"

I ask for a specific reason. Other than on/off when the AC switch is pushed in, the knob does not control AC operation. It controls the operation of the blower. Do you mean the blower doesn't work other than on position 4? Or do you mean the blower works on all 1-4, but the temperature isn't what you expect?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

sorry i didnt clarify,
    the blower doesnt work in positions 1-3, only 4.

I Support ClubWRX
    Usually, a blower is controlled by stepped attenuation. On all but the last setting, there is a resistor that limits output. On the last step (4) there is nothing in the path, so the blower just spins flat out. It sounds like you've got a faulty blower or switch (I don't know how Subaru sets all this up -- usually the blower has the resistors and the switch is just a switch; if this is the case here, the blower would be faulty).

EDIT: A user here, Micah, has generously provided several great links in his signature. One of these has the manual for your car. Look at the WIRING section on WI 35 (AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM). This diagramme shows the layout. Suspect the BLOWER FAN RESISTORS on connector B86 (brown).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-21-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.