Blew Head Need Help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Blew Head Need Help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, while i was driving my 2002 WRX my spark plug ripped out of the threads and made my car ...

Blew Head Need Help!

So, while i was driving my 2002 WRX my spark plug ripped out of the threads and made my car undriveable. i took it to an auto shop and they put in some hela-coil and it worked for a couple of months then blew out again. So i have a couple questions. I would like to know how this could of happened and how i could prevent it? I would also like to know what i should do next? I have a couple of options. I could buy a jdm engine and just swap it out (most expensive), change the heads (approximately $600 each and would like to get 2), or swap my engine out with another model (i.e. legacy). Please any suggestions would be nice, also if you have another suggestion to fix it let me know. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How does one "spit out spark plug threads" ? Were the plugs installed wrong? and cross threaded?

How many miles on your car, and mods?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I dont know how this has happened. My dad is saying that the spark plug could of been loose and the rattled out. When i was at the auto shop the guy called Subaru and they said it could be cause my boost pressure is too high, but i dont see how since it should be stock. Also when this first blew out i had no known mods (i am not the original owner and anything he had done to the car is unknown), and then i added a cold air intake when i got it fixed the first time. Thanks. Also i have 60,000 miles.
    Last edited by smitt04; 04-18-2008 at 12:31 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by smitt04 View Post
    I dont know how this has happened. My dad is saying that the spark plug could of been loose and the rattled out. When i was at the auto shop the guy called Subaru and they said it could be cause my boot pressure is too high, but i dont see how since it should be stock. Also when this first blew out i had no known mods, and then i added a cold air intake when i got it fixed the first time. Thanks. Also i have 60,000 miles.
    I have never heard of this happening under normal conditions.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Cold air intakes make the car lean out, but I have no idea why it would do that in the first place, let alone a second time.

Blew Head Need Help!

So, while i was driving my 2002 WRX my spark plug ripped out of the threads and made my car undriveable. i took it to an auto shop and they put in some hela-coil and it worked for a couple of months then blew out again. So i have a couple questions. I would like to know how this could of happened and how i could prevent it? I would also like to know what i should do next? I have a couple of options. I could buy a jdm engine and just swap it out (most expensive), change the heads (approximately $600 each and would like to get 2), or swap my engine out with another model (i.e. legacy). Please any suggestions would be nice, also if you have another suggestion to fix it let me know. Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've seen spark plugs back out (twice in 20 years) but it's just been a matter of screwing the plug back in with no other worries.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

bump

bump

I Support ClubWRX
    for starters, no real need for the same questions to be posted it two separate threads..

The second time that the plug came out (with the heli-coil threads) are the helical threads still in?

They are usually Stainless Steel, so I'd be highly surprised if they are torn out, unless they pulled out of the aluminum, in which case were improperly installed.

It is, agreeably, a weird situation, and I've only seen this one time in 40 yrs..
    Last edited by Rogan; 04-19-2008 at 12:08 PM.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

If your head is really truly toast, I would try to get a JDM v8 longblock. More stout bottom end and the heads are night and day better than the USDM WRX heads. That's only "if" the head is truly trashed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    It is, agreeably, a weird situation, and I've only seen this one time in 40 yrs..
    Twice in 20: Toyota 20R and Toyota 5S-FE. Both times, simply replacing the plug resulted in trouble-free running for tens of thousands of miles (actually, about an additional 100,000 and counting on the 5S-FE since then). I assumed the plug wasn't torqued correctly, put it back in, assumed it's semi-frequent or at least known (especially the second time it happened) and went on with life. No idea how/why/background.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

so, i decided to see how much damage there was today. After taking out my battery and windshield wiper fluid i was able to pull out my spark with my hand. after unbolting the the ignition coil and inspecting it, i noticed that the spark plug boot was split down the side and that the boot broke off the coil pack. The coil pack was also bent at a 90 degree angle. Looking closer at the spark plug i was able to see that it looks like the heli-coil dislodged and was stuck on to the spark plug.

bump

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.