smoke from under the hood
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on smoke from under the hood within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I dont drive my 04 wrx that often but took it out for a spin today and noticed greyish smoke ...

smoke from under the hood

I dont drive my 04 wrx that often but took it out for a spin today and noticed greyish smoke from under the hood and smelt like rubber, I came home and popped the hood and it looks as its coming from the turbo area, the car ran fine and wasnt over heating, if you might know the prob or need more details let me know thanks
    04 Java Black Pearl Wingless WRX:
    5% Tint all around, 10" windsheild strip, 2 pod gauge frame, Turbo and Volt Gauges, Tien S-tech Springs, Progress adj. Rear Sway Bar, Front and Rear Tower Braces, Sound System/DVD, Tsudo Cat-back exhaust, Black housing headlights, Invidia uppipe, Bosal Downpipe, Train Horn, Elbow Silencer Delete, DIY I/C Water Sprayer, 4300K H.I.D.'s

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    When did you install the up pipe? Is the down pipe melting the A/C drain hose?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    When did you install the up pipe? Is the down pipe melting the A/C drain hose?
    the up and dp been installed for well over a year atleast, Yeah I checked the ac hose no smoke there, just looks like its coming from under the turbo, I figured an exhaust leak but it smells like rubber so that cant be it, and I dont think a burning exhaust gasket would smell like that....
    5% Tint all around, 10" windsheild strip, 2 pod gauge frame, Turbo and Volt Gauges, Tien S-tech Springs, Progress adj. Rear Sway Bar, Front and Rear Tower Braces, Sound System/DVD, Tsudo Cat-back exhaust, Black housing headlights, Invidia uppipe, Bosal Downpipe, Train Horn, Elbow Silencer Delete, DIY I/C Water Sprayer, 4300K H.I.D.'s

I Support ClubWRX
    It smells like rubber, not burning oil? If it smelt like oil I'd say check the feed to the turbo, but rubber? Sorry.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It smells like rubber, not burning oil? If it smelt like oil I'd say check the feed to the turbo, but rubber? Sorry.
    my neighbor took a look and said it smells like a rubber hose touching something hot, unless burning oil has a simular smell to rubber idk....

CHECK ALL THE BOOST SOLENOID HOSES...... those and heres a close up of mine try too point it out..Attachment 78048
    Last edited by justin.jordan2; 05-29-2008 at 12:42 AM.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    CHECK ALL THE BOOST SOLENOID HOSES...... those and heres a close up of mine try too point it out..Attachment 78048
    where those two bolts on the bottom of that pic where the turbo and uppipe are connected is where the smoke is coming from

Oooohhhh Tough One Hard To Tell Maybe Its Ur Tranny Oil Dip Stick Leaking..... Thats Rather Thick Oil Might Smell Like Rubber....
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Oooohhhh Tough One Hard To Tell Maybe Its Ur Tranny Oil Dip Stick Leaking..... Thats Rather Thick Oil Might Smell Like Rubber....
    hmmm I just started the car no immediate smoke yet, I just made sure the tranny dip stick was firmly in place, what color smoke would that produce?

I Have No Idea.. Just Take Some And Drop It On The Dp To See...my Guess Black Smoke

I Have No Idea.. Just Take Some And Drop It On The Dp To See...my Guess Black Smoke
    well thanks for all the help, leaving it idle for 15 min I saw no smoke or rubber smell, i made sure the tranny dip stick was pushed in firm idk weird, i m sure it will do this again....I recently installed a cobb turbo heat sheild if that would have anything to do with it which I doubt

I Support ClubWRX
    Anything coming out the gearbox will smell like sulfur, a very heavy smell that's unmistakable.

A little oil goes a long way as far as smoke and stench go, and once you've smelled motor oil burnt you don't forget that either.

When you removed the old heat shield to put the Cobb unit on, did you use antiseize compound on any bolts to loosen them before trying to wrench them off?

Check to see if it melting the coil pack for cyl 3. Does it only smoke when your at a stop or when your driving down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by GageP View Post
    Check to see if it melting the coil pack for cyl 3. Does it only smoke when your at a stop or when your driving down the road?
    when I was sitting at a stop light smoke came out the hood scoop once i started going it stopped

Anything coming out the gearbox will smell like sulfur, a very heavy smell that's unmistakable.

A little oil goes a long way as far as smoke and stench go, and once you've smelled motor oil burnt you don't forget that either.

When you removed the old heat shield to put the Cobb unit on, did you use antiseize compound on any bolts to loosen them before trying to wrench them off?
    wd-40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast