04 wrx misfire
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 04 wrx misfire within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've had this 2004 wrx for a few years now. Here's the story. I bought it salvaged, its rebuilt, from ...

04 wrx misfire

I've had this 2004 wrx for a few years now. Here's the story. I bought it salvaged, its rebuilt, from the accident the timing belt flew off so i had to replace the valves and all that. Since I've gotten it running i've had CEL codes non-stop pretty much. First there was a problem with my rear o2 sensor. Fixed that CEL went away. My engine had absolutely no power and another CEL came on, now it was the knock sensor, fixed that, car ran perfectly, i thought. Then after that I got another CEL and its a misfire in cyl 2. I tried swapping the coils with cyl 2 and 4 but then it seemed as if both 2 and 4 didnt work, i could barely get the car to move from first gear so i was scared of taking it to the shop. I switched the coils back but now it still seems like both cylinders aren't working. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

oh, and the mileage is only 30K km on it. From what it seemed like the car had been used for racing because the interior was completely stripped out, the stock exhaust and air filter box was in the car but not attached. It had tein struts on it and 18" rays with really worn out track tires.

My advice would be to sell it and get a new car. That thing sounds like it's just going to be problem after problem.

Based on your post, nobody here or on any other forum is going to be able to help you out (i.e. too many possible sources in a salvaged car, plus you haven't given enough info even if it wasn't salvaged).
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

what kind of info should i give? just in case someone could possible come up with something

another thing, when only one cylinder was missfiring, the car still ran pretty good, after 3000 rpm it felt normal, it had the slight whiplash effect and everything, (maybe something to do with voltage?) but it didnt seem to want to go past 6000 rpm (dont know if that's normal) , and also couldnt go much faster than 180km/hr (112 mph)

if your going to the car i would pull the injectors out and have them cleaned and get brand new coil packs. I had a misfire on number 3 and took out the injectors hand them cleaned and bought new plugs and new coil packs worls fine now. Make sure have the heat shield over the turbo or it will make the coil pack cyl num 3 start to malfunction.

is that a sure thing? because i've been driving around without it for a while now, i have the shield but cant seem to find the brackets for it, should i be very worried?

You should always be worried if your car is misfiring. If you want to keep clean the injectors and get new pulgs and coil packs and put the heat shiels around your turbo from heating up the coil pack cyl 3. Worked for me. First i did it without putting the heat shield on and messed up t new coil pack so i had to replace it agian and put the heat shield on haven't had CEL on since then. If the car had tracked alot i would get the fuel injectors cleaned or just get some new ones.

The heat shield come in three parts the wrap around the turbo. Should be a big one slightly smaller one and the a small one and the bolts for them are not that long.

Check out this website they have a bunch of different heat shield and heat wraps for the turbo.

Heat Shields: review Thermotec, Cobb Tuning

ok ill check it out, thank you for your help

wow I'm an idiot, somehow checking the compression was the last thing I decided to do, so cyl 2 only has 80 psi, where cyl 4 has 150 psi. Could a damaged intake manifold gasket potentially have something to do with that?

I took out that stupid 5 dollar ebay air intake and now my car can rev to the max...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.