mystery sound

This is a discussion on mystery sound within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, I started to have this mysterious sound in the cabin. The exhaust system is stock. www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEuhpQ4isk It only ...

mystery sound

Hello all,

I started to have this mysterious sound in the cabin. The exhaust system is stock.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEuhpQ4isk

It only seems to come from the driver's side along the door sill. The sound is the strongest right behind the driver's seat(refer to vid). The sound is powerful enough to create a vibration that you can feel when you touch the area. I think it is the exhaust, but anyone know why it would cause the sound to appear only in that area?

I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by redbones; 04-12-2008 at 11:13 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd say exhaust. Did you get under the car to see if anything is moving around and hitting metal?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I intend to get down there with a stethoscope later today. Even my mechanic friend could not pin point the cause.

Just to be sure... this is not something mechanical internally right?
    Last edited by redbones; 04-12-2008 at 11:09 AM.

ok, does anyone know what these two lines are? they are right by the driver's side rear wheel.

the sound can traced to those lines. I think the lines are passing through the door sill so that's why only one side of the car makes that sound. Still doesn't make sense as to why it syncs with the boxer rumble...

[QUOTE=redbones;2257256]ok, does anyone know what these two lines are? they are right by the driver's side rear wheel.

the sound can traced to those lines. I think the lines are passing through the door sill so that's why only one side of the car makes that sound. Still doesn't make sense as to why it syncs with the boxer rumble...[/QUOTE

if the sound is in tune with the engine my guess would be a vacuum line,,,but right around that area is the fuel take,soooo hard to tell. are the hoses leaking if so just replace them
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Man, it's something within the fuel lines that is causing this sound

Refer to image:

I traced that same sound to the fuel lines (#1) that ends in a pressure regulator. Then it goes to the bracket (#2) and to the passenger side. At this point I thought it was the vibration from the mounting point of the bracket, but the surroudings did not have that sound. So I moved over, and right by the intake hose(#3), there is a whole bunch of parts that seem to end my tracing. The same sound is very audible here too. Again, the surrounding things (engine head, vaccum line, etc) is quiet.

Anyone know what is in that area (#3)?

is number 2 pointing towards the vacuum line off the blow off valve
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I thought it was that, but it checked negative. Moved the vaccum hose away from that bracket, but nothing changed.

At this point, should I be prepared for a failing fuel pump?

Out of curiosity, can you guys feel the area (#1) to see if there is any pulsating vibration? The car should be idle at operating temp. thanks
    Last edited by redbones; 04-12-2008 at 09:09 PM.

the line at 1 cant be a fuel line that things huge maybe a coolant line cant tell from the pic. p.s. is the sound a clicking noise. from what i know about older fuel pumps like the one i changed on my old f-150. it made more of a clicking noise when the fuel was pumping. my gues would be a vacuum line but that weird if you can hear i inside, is it pulsating like when you take ur oil cap off and put ur hand over it while its running

there's three lines under that big one. the feeding, return, and evaporation fuel lines. All three are emitting that sound, but there was some variation to the volume, so maybe I can narrow things down more.

I know subaru's make weird noises sometimes, but all my suby buddies don't have this issue.

I thought it might be a rod bearing, which seem common in wrx, but when I put the stethoscope on the center of the engine block, she was smoooooth. At least that's not it.

Well, there's only 21K and little more than two years old, so maybe i can warranty it...

Maybe this is it.
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0122802.html

If it is, one of the pressure regulators are bad...