hesitation/backfires
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on hesitation/backfires within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whenever i give it gas it does not go anywhere at all. I was driving on the highway and i ...

hesitation/backfires

Whenever i give it gas it does not go anywhere at all. I was driving on the highway and i couldnt get it to accelerate without it backfiring and having huge hesitation. As soon as it gets into boost it will basically shut down. any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

MBC? BOV? CAI?

Do you have any of these?
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

i have an ebc, hks bov and a blitz air filter

LOL

Holy Tri-fecta of fukkups

These are all bad mods for your subaru. The factory Electronic Boost Controller is what you should be using. Get rid of the BOV and put the stock BPV back on. Ditto on the intake.

Your WRX is going to be very picky about mods - start using the search and you'll learn why.

::edit::

On second thought the Blitz intake might be ok - I'm honestly not sure.

How much boost are you running? Have you done anything regarding engine managment?
    Last edited by Micah; 04-11-2008 at 07:00 PM.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmWrx View Post
    i have an ebc, hks bov and a blitz air filter

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

it came with them, i read they were bad after but it never ran bad before and ive had it for a year. boost was 14

14 isn't asking too much. I'm not sure if PTFB would be the issue. Might be worth looking into I guess.

You could try resetting the ECU, but honestly - nearly everyone here is going to tell you that a BOV is a bad idea. There's some links in my sig for BOV and Bugeye owners - give them both a quick read.

thanks man, yea ill try reseting the ecu. But do you think it might be a fuel filter/pump or anything else?

thanks man, yea ill try reseting the ecu. But do you think it might be a fuel filter/pump or anything else?
    How many miles are on the car? Have you followed the recommended maintenance schedule?

Almost 70k miles and yes. Just wondering if it could be dirty or something, seemed like it just wasnt getting gas when i accelerated. I alwasy use 93 as well.

Almost 70k miles and yes. Just wondering if it could be dirty or something, seemed like it just wasnt getting gas when i accelerated. I alwasy use 93 as well.
    If you're getting afterfire (I'm fairly sure it's afterfire as if it was backfire you would have bigger problems), then I'd say the fuel system is working. Maybe you want to check your plugs?

Then again, I'm no mechanic - I've got a few friends who are - and I bounce questions off them all the time. I stopped working on my own cars when I started buying imports. It's about income, free time, and getting tired of having to do the same job more than once. My recommendation is to find a good shop and have them check it out. All the work on my car has been done by Precision Tuning in Lakewood(NJ) and I have no complaints.

The problem here is that until you remove the bad components that could be causing problems, you're going to have a hard time identifying why the new behavior is happening. Some small other change may now be interacting with all of those 3 bad mods and now making them cause problems. Or cumulative effects of those bad mods may just now be causing problems. Ultimately, you need to get the car back to a good, reliable, solid baseline by removing the parts that are known to cause problems before you can start troubleshooting what's wrong now.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I have an 03 WRX as well and mine seems to do the same thing it hesitates and or bucks and backfires at about 5 grand if i floor it i took it to the dealership they replaced the fuel pump plugs and a gang of sensors by following my check engine codes and none of it worked they made me come get it and charged me a grand they say it needs tuned that the problem is theres to much gas to my air ratio????????????

I Support ClubWRX
    The bucking /backfiring usually had two culprets.Dirty MAF or clogged fuel sock.Are you guys getting DTC/CEL's?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

i dont have a cel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast