Car Occasionally Overheats

This is a discussion on Car Occasionally Overheats within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 WRX with 104k on it. The problem I have is that the car starts to get ...

Car Occasionally Overheats

I have an 02 WRX with 104k on it. The problem I have is that the car starts to get warm when it's not moving. The first thing I thought was that the coolant fans weren't coming on, but I have verified that they do work. I am wondering if they are coming on all the time though. It does not overheat everytime I let it idle so I'm wondering if the fans are intermittently working. Anyone have any ideas on what to check?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any coolant leaks? Coolant levels low?

No?

If not i bet the thermostat is stuck causing the overheating.

Solution: Replace it.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    Any coolant leaks? Coolant levels low?

No?

If not i bet the thermostat is stuck causing the overheating.

Solution: Replace it.
    That was my other thought. Timing belt is getting done in the next couple of weeks so the waterpump and thermostat are getting replaced then. Thanks for the reply though.

No coolant leaks and it's never low.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK, if the pump and thermostat are replaced the problem is IMO unlikely to persist. If it does nonetheless, look for a clog somewhere -- suspect the radiator first. I doubt things will go that far though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.