05 STi HELP!!!!! CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!

This is a discussion on 05 STi HELP!!!!! CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone I need HELPPPPPP!!!!!! Tonight I was driving my 05 sti to my girlfriends house. I had just got ...

05 STi HELP!!!!! CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!

Hey everyone I need HELPPPPPP!!!!!! Tonight I was driving my 05 sti to my girlfriends house. I had just got off the highway and turned onto the main street.

I hit 3rd gear (wasn'st racing or driving like a bad ass) but I did give it a little more gas than normal. Once it reached 3000 rpms my engine just stopped, it was like I hit a rev limiter or something it just seized up for like 2 seconds.

I put it in neutral and just Idled for about a 1/5 of a mile then I put it into 4th gear, all seemed well but when I looked at my speedometer and noticed that the CHECK ENGINE light was on and the cruise control (Green Light) was flashing and still is. I pulled into the nearest quick trip gas station and turned off my car for about 2 minutes, I started it back up and the check engine light was still on as well as the cruise control light was flashing still. It is too late to take it to the subaru shop to have them check it out but I am going first thing in the morning.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA AS TO WHAT COULD BE WRONG???? ANYONE EXPERIENCE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE??? WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT TO COME FROM THIS???

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED??

THANKS,

BalistiK_SubarU

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    DO YOU HAVE ANY MODS?!!??!?!??!??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!??????!!!!!!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Only a AEM cold air intake and a bigger cat back exhaust. It normally runs amazingly. never had any problems before.

Go to an auto zone and get codes for us; it's free. Are u sure it wasn't the "gas is empty light?"
    -03 WRX
    238WHP, 245AWTQ
    Bobby tuned @ PRE Stage 2
    X-Mitsubishi owner
    ~DIFFERENT STROKES~

Reset the ecu and see if it happens again?
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

Quote Originally Posted by BalistiK_SubarU View Post
    Only a AEM cold air intake and a bigger cat back exhaust. It normally runs amazingly. never had any problems before.
    are you running it lean? Sometimes subys need a good tune after intake and exhaust. i know mine did. 05 sti

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by 03'WRXtreme View Post
    Go to an auto zone and get codes for us; it's free. Are u sure it wasn't the "gas is empty light?"
    +100000000000000000

Otherwise we're just gonna be playing the guessing game all day.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BalistiK_SubarU View Post
    Only a AEM cold air intake
    I'm willing the bet it may have something to do with this little guy.

I Support ClubWRX
    From the physical symptons, sounds like fuel cutout. This could be caused by a number of reasons. Basically air + fuel + spark = go.

If the mix is not correct, one of the first things the ECU does to prevent harm to the engine (besides timing retardation) is to cut off the fuel. It's scary and exactly like you described.

I'd get some EM on your car soon regardless. You are merely waiting for failure of one sort or another with the intake and exhaust mods.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Hi Everyone this will be my first post cuz i just joined the forum and im new to subaru i just bought a 05 STi 6 months ago.

i kinda have the same problem with my sti i just put a Helix catless DP along with HKS carbon ti exhaust on mine but addition to that i bought the CEL fix for the o2 sensor from Gruppe-S since it doesnt have a cat i put on everything and the cel fix seems to be working just fine been drivin it for a week without any prob but anyways i was drivin lastnight and i really gunned it pretty hard redlinin(7000 rpm) from 3rd to 5th gear once i reach 6 the rpm reached about close to 6500 rpm it threw me to limp mode it felt like i redlined it lost power and put me back around 90 mi per hour kinda like a government but it still runs ok just the freakin cel was on and the cruise was blinkin i drove it normally without hitting high rpm there was no prob drove it for about 30 mins and the cel went off so i thought everything was fine then on my way home i was on the freeway and i was on 5th gear the rpm reached around 5500 and it did the same thing and after that it went away like the first time i was gonna get the codes but didnt have the time to but do you guys have any idea why its doin that on higher rpms? or maybe i need a tune??

any answer or suggestion? anything at all itll be a great help Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by gotrice?; 04-15-2008 at 07:38 PM.

What ever happened to the OP? Did you pull the codes dude? If your car is throwing a CEL, before you start a new thread go to Autozone, have them read the codes for free, then post what code number it is here. The salesperson at autozone may try to tell you what the problem is, but just remember what number CEL your car has stored and post it to the forum. Without this information every reply will simply be conjecture.

Gotrice...punctuate your post and you'll get better results. It is unreadable as is and does not clearly describe a problem other than you overboosting in high gears.
    Last edited by Timdog1650; 04-15-2008 at 08:14 PM.

BalistiK_SubarU : did you get the codes?

gotrice : do you have your car tuned? (IE Engine Management by Cobbtuning, or EcuTec or Utec or OpenECU.) If not your engine is running dangerously LEAN, because of the aftermarket downpipe.

On a Turbo Subaru, anytime you make it so the engine is breathing more air (Read : Intake's and Downpipes) then the ECU thinks it's getting the wrong amount of air, and the engine is detonating.

nope its not tuned yet thats the next thing i wanted to do get it tuned but since im pretty much low on funds atm itll have to wait but is that all i need or do i have to get the codes when it shows the CEL again?