Break in period?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Break in period? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i recently had my block rebuilt (200 or so miles ago) and was wondering how long does it ...

Break in period?

Hey guys i recently had my block rebuilt (200 or so miles ago) and was wondering how long does it take to break it in because i was going to order a downpipe and wanted to get a protune.....should i wait a little more or should i get it now?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i think the recomended break in period is 1k miles if i'm not mistaken

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i think the recomended break in period is 1k miles if i'm not mistaken
    the mechanic told me 2000 but i just wanted to make sure or if that much was even necessary.....thanks

The owners manual says 1000.

Here's what I did.
    First 500 miles below 4000rpm
    501-750 miles below 5000
    751-1000 miles below 6000
    After that just keep it below 7000rpm (the red line) and you'll have an engine that's happy for a long time.

I Support ClubWRX
    Owners manual states keep it under 4k rpms for the first 1k miles and to vary rpms (dont cruise at the same rpm for long periods of time).

On my STI I kept it under 4k until I got my first oil change (1,500 miles) then I slowly started to add more rev's into the mix.

You will get people who drive the crap out of the car right away.....others take it easy.

I researched it and did what is stated above...if your mech. is giving you a break in policy I'd follow it as he's more familuar with your setup then anyone else is.

Worst case is you are saving gas for 2k miles....I do suggest however changing the oil and not really beating on the car till the "break in" oil is changed....if that makes sense.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Oh, right, I also changed my oil at 1300 miles. It's a good idea, because it will remove a lot of the "new engine" metal shavings the rings and other moving peaces the engine is creating.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Oh, right, I also changed my oil at 1300 miles. It's a good idea, because it will remove a lot of the "new engine" metal shavings the rings and other moving peaces the engine is creating.
    so after my first oil change would that be a good time to get the protune?

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    everyone has a different take.

my personal opinion is that i'd run the stock motor long enough for the block to "season" (go through enough heating and cooling cycles). in my opinion, i'd not put it through the stresses of a stage 2 and pro-tune until you have about 6k miles on it.

0-1k miles: factory break in
    1k - 3k: some spirited riding but nothing really hammering it
    3k - 6k: drive it like you stole it
    6k on: mods and such

all, of course with proper warm up and cool down time before each "run" and with oil and filter changes every 3 k miles. at 6k swap to full synth oil.
    so what oil should i use for the first oil change??

Also, i ordered my downpipe yesterday....should i just wait it out and install it when im about to get the protune or should i just get it installed now? would it matter??

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    Also, i ordered my downpipe yesterday....should i just wait it out and install it when im about to get the protune or should i just get it installed now? would it matter??

dont run the downpipe without engine management/tune
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.