Overheating 93 Wrx

This is a discussion on Overheating 93 Wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a standard 93 wrx, no mods. and after 10 mins or so after being started starts to heat. ...

zeb

Overheating 93 Wrx

I have a standard 93 wrx, no mods. and after 10 mins or so after being started starts to heat. Have bled radiator many times, yet still heats. Though the hand seems to drop the more you rev it. Has anyone any ideas on where to start? Was told it could be head gasket

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I assume you mean an 03 not 93.

Anyway you could do a pressure check for leaks.
    Any dripping?
    Any smoke in exhaust?

If it was one of my other cars I would say the thermostat could be bad indicated by revving the motor causes temp to go down.

I am sure others will chime in.....

WR
    2002 Black WRX
    1998 GMC 1500 Pick up
    *1988 corvette street legal pro-street car
    best time 1/4: 10.5 sec at 129 mph
    *2003 Great Lakes Region Corvette Challenge Drag Racing series Points Champion.
    *2006, 2007, & 2008 NMCA True Street Class winner

being that zeb is in ireland, he might actually have a 93 wrx.

I was thinking thermostat as well, because he said the more you rev it the more it drops (or cools, right?). The water pump works harder when the engine revs higher, putting more water/antifreeze though the radiator.

Also, is there a fan on the radiator? if so is it working?

Thermostat sounds right.

Again any leaks. Does the coolant disapate or do the coolant levels stay the same? If your loosing coolant, then maybe headgasket. If your loosing coolant how foggy is your exhaust, any coolant fumes from the exhaust. Otherwise if your not loosing coolant, and no leaks the thermostat may be stuck.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Another vote for your thermostat.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

zeb
    Cheers guys. Yeah, actually it is a 1993. I had it tested and there's no leaks, not losing any coolant and exhaust fumes are pretty normal. It's running perfectly otherwise. Guess this all points to the thermostat, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    Cheers guys. Yeah, actually it is a 1993. I had it tested and there's no leaks, not losing any coolant and exhaust fumes are pretty normal. It's running perfectly otherwise. Guess this all points to the thermostat, eh?

Yup.

I gotta tell ya.

One of the main reasons I bought a WRX was when I was in Ireland I saw quite a few of them. They still haven't been introduced into the U.S. at that time.
    I had heard of them as I read a lot of automotive articles.

So after driving all over Ireland and seeing these things I talked to a guy in a parking lot that pulled up in one.
    He said great things, but what really sold me was the rally heritage and that they were built to go real fast on crappy roads..perfect for the country side of Ireland.....AND the streets of Chicago

So I went back home and bought one.

Cheers

WR
    2002 Black WRX
    1998 GMC 1500 Pick up
    *1988 corvette street legal pro-street car
    best time 1/4: 10.5 sec at 129 mph
    *2003 Great Lakes Region Corvette Challenge Drag Racing series Points Champion.
    *2006, 2007, & 2008 NMCA True Street Class winner