fuel smell-help! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on fuel smell-help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX Let's cool down, mkay? Honestly, no one has enough time in their day to check the ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Let's cool down, mkay? Honestly, no one has enough time in their day to check the profile of everyone that they respond to here.

Just so you're aware, the comment about "being smart" came from your comment about racing on the highway, which is frowned upon by many at ClubWRX. If you're literally doing this, you're putting others at risk, and that's not cool.

To your question: If you have a profound gas smell, I'd take it to the dealer for a look-see. (since you said that you don't know another mechanic) Sounds like you could use some peace of mind, even if it turns out to be minor.
    that was a joke, thank you. that's all i needed. and i did not come here looking for any of this, i posted an innocent question that someone had to be ignorant in their response to. i could care less what this person thinks of me. i just wanted answers about my car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think there was a TSB Technical Service Bulletin. I think the 02 or 03 models where the fuel lines leaks, but it was nothing dangerous, however it may get repaired for free. Id bring it in to the dealer and see what they say.

A TSB is similar to a recall but was not deemed a recall, more or less a common problem.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tinydancer417 View Post
    that was a joke, thank you. that's all i needed. and i did not come here looking for any of this, i posted an innocent question that someone had to be ignorant in their response to. i could care less what this person thinks of me. i just wanted answers about my car.
    You came here saying that you race people on the highway. It's notoriously difficult to convey subtle humor and sarcasm in a forum environment.

If it was a joke, you should have said so, and moved on. No need to be so contentious.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

If you frquently smell a burning fuel smell than I would take the car to the dealer and avoid any advice justin gives you like the plague. If your from maryland my experience has been that the people at fitzgerald, annapolis, and herb gordon are all very nice and experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You came here saying that you race people on the highway.
    Exactly, if you came here just to ask a question then just ask the question. If you're going to boast about how you like to street race, which is a highly illegal and dangerous activity that endangers other people who choose to drive safely, then you are just going to get a post lecturing you about this and not get your questions answered by many people on these forums including me. Feel free to insult me and call me stupid. I hope you get caught, your license taken away, and your car impounded because obviously you're not mature enough to be driving.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

yes, i only smell it when it's cold. what's a tsb?
    i have seen this quite a bit with rex's in cold weather, more than likly a seal. my guess maybe a fuel injector seal, or also called the rubber grommet. but first i would check the fuel lines, fuel filter, make sure no one else has put a bigger fuel pump in it, then i would check fuel rails, then as a last resort you might have to replace the grommets. but first go to a dealer...
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

fuel injector

I had an injector pop out of a rail before and it literally sprayed fuel everywhere. If you don't feel confident dealing with it you need to go to a mechanic. It is hella dangerous! Think of it this way when you are driving the car the fuel is under pressure but fuel is being burned, but when you shut the car off the fuel system is still under pressure and the fuel (if there is a leak) is not being burned (its off) it has to come out somewhere via the leak in fuel system or a blown injector.

As far as racing goes pay $25 bucks or whatever and go to a track day event, don't be stupid and put other innocent peoples lives and yours at risk. I am not saying that I haven't done (I have and it is very dumb) it but when you see what harm it can do you might think again. Just because we have fast cars doesn't mean that the car is race worthy or safe. Race cars have certain safety features: roll cages, 5 pt harness, new fatty brakes not to mention skilled drivers. No more PSA. Be safe.

injector o rings

I am not sure if suby injectors have 1 or 2 o rings but they can blow very easily. Check out this attachment part no 11 and twelve are the injector and o ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inject.jpg  

Tsb

TSB = tech service bulletin. Do a google search for TSB subaru and you should bring up something from subaru, basically all the recalls on parts.

Quote Originally Posted by sackytar View Post
    TSB = tech service bulletin. Do a google search for TSB subaru and you should bring up something from subaru, basically all the recalls on parts.
    thank you very much to all who provided useful information. for the last time, it was a joke, i do not race my car on the highway. end of discussion about that.

I Support ClubWRX
    okay, so i have owned my wrx for about 3 months, and i love it. i had never driven stick before this (i know, huge loser), and now i can't stop racing people on the highway. i've been reading through some discussions about the fuel smell in cold weather, and i am still wondering if the repair is necessary. some people say that they have had theirs with that problem for years, and then others fix it right away. i don't know any secret mechanics, so i would probably be stuck with the *******s at the dealership. so.....my questions are do i need to fix it, and where do i begin??
    (assuming your car is my'02 or '03) To answer your question as it is posed, I don't think that it is necessary to have it fixed. I have my '02 for several years, and have just dealt with the smell, no biggie.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    (assuming your car is my'02 or '03) To answer your question as it is posed, I don't think that it is necessary to have it fixed. I have my '02 for several years, and have just dealt with the smell, no biggie.
    thanks! i appreciate it.

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks! i appreciate it.

no prob.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

1st time it happened to me was in 20 degree weather and it scared the crap out of me becasue it was at night and I was in the middle of a 280 mile drive out of my home town. I later did some searching on here and found out to be a common problem with one or 2 vacum hoses which are short from the factory and tend to shrink in extremely cold weather and/or age, which then makes this sort of thing happen. I was going to work on it but since it only happend once or twice, I haven't really bothered with it. If I decide to keep the car longer and it gets worse, I'll propably get the hoses which are like $30 and replace them myself.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12