I cant get to the silencer!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I cant get to the silencer! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, picked up my wrx over the weekend and didnt have a chance to try and pull the silencer ...

I cant get to the silencer!

Hey all, picked up my wrx over the weekend and didnt have a chance to try and pull the silencer out until tonight. The problem I ran into was trying to get the plastic "pop rivets" out. I was following these instructions from here http://scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113
    Now get under the car. You will see a somewhat rectangular piece of plastic with (6) screw/rivets in it. Take this flap off . Now you will see (2) thumb screws with rectangular heads.
    The problem was, after I got under the car I saw 4 of the plastic "screws" that have the philps head top to them and 2 that didnt have anything on them (circled in yellow). I cant get those last 2 out, I tried pliers, tried prying them off with a screwdriver, etc. without getting those 2 out, is there ANY other way to to the silencer? I mean I can pull the flap back as you can see in the pic, but not enough where I can even see the 2 thumb screws, let alone have enough room to get the silencer out.

the 2nd pic is shot looking up under the car and is 1 of the 2 I cant get off.

Sorry for such a long post for a stupidly simple thing, but for the life of me I cant get those 2 off. Any advice?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0800.jpg   CIMG0802.jpg   CIMG0805.jpg  
    Just remember, capitalization and punctuation marks the difference between, "I just helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and, "i just helped my uncle jack off a horse"
    04 Wrx Wagon Cobb Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker View Post
    Hey all, picked up my wrx over the weekend and didnt have a chance to try and pull the silencer out until tonight. The problem I ran into was trying to get the plastic "pop rivets" out. I was following these instructions from here http://scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113

The problem was, after I got under the car I saw 4 of the plastic "screws" that have the philps head top to them and 2 that didnt have anything on them (circled in yellow). I cant get those last 2 out, I tried pliers, tried prying them off with a screwdriver, etc. without getting those 2 out, is there ANY other way to to the silencer? I mean I can pull the flap back as you can see in the pic, but not enough where I can even see the 2 thumb screws, let alone have enough room to get the silencer out.

the 2nd pic is shot looking up under the car and is 1 of the 2 I cant get off.

Sorry for such a long post for a stupidly simple thing, but for the life of me I cant get those 2 off. Any advice?

Pop the head out with a flathead, then pry it out from below the larger ring of plastic. It is easiest if you have a forked tool. If it breaks, get a new one for a buck or so at the dealer.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I originally tried prying it out from the ring with a flathead but with no success so I thought maybe I would just take it out with the larger ring but that also didnt work. I dont even care if they break as I'll replace them. I tried getting off the same style one in the first pic by pulling on either side of the fender flap to see how tight it was on and it still wont come off. I need superman or something,
    Just remember, capitalization and punctuation marks the difference between, "I just helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and, "i just helped my uncle jack off a horse"
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker View Post
    I need superman or something,

Nah you just need a BFH

Whats a BFH?

Does anyone know the name of the tool that's forked that you can use to pry these out? I might just pick it up at pep boys or somewhere this weekend. I Figure I might need it when going to do the up pipe or other things as well.
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker
    Whats a BFH?
    Big F-ing Hammer
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I dunno, the one I got was for upholstery and didn't work well. The trick is to pop out the head and then pry out by the lower ring. If you need to pop out the head and grab it with some pliers (it will break).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Try using a thinner screwdriver?

I used all size screwdrivers, pliers, vice grips and just about anything else I could think of. I cant believe how effing tight those last 2 are on. I'm going to attempt another try Saturday. one of the 2 plugs is already mangled from the pliers (not surpising) but I'll probably also hit up the dealership for some more.
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker
    I used all size screwdrivers, pliers, vice grips and just about anything else I could think of. I cant believe how effing tight those last 2 are on. I'm going to attempt another try Saturday. one of the 2 plugs is already mangled from the pliers (not surpising) but I'll probably also hit up the dealership for some more.
    Are you talking about the ones in the sideskirts or the wheel well?

If it's the wheel well you're talking about, just drill them out (then buy replacements at Autozone or your local dealer).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Nah the wheel well one, that one came out easy. Its the 2nd picture I am referring to, on the underside. Unfortunately pulling at those makes the whole plastic piece flex as well.
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

Have you tried using the force?
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I did but alas I pulled a muscle in my left shoulder because the positions I was laying at LOL. It sucks butt to be 6'3 working under a car. I have a whole barn full of tools and such, I'm sure I'll figure it out this weekend.
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

If it's those plastic pop rivets you could try cutting them off with a pair of dykes.

I've always managed to get mine off with a screwdriver. Not necessarily all in one piece, mind you.

If it's giving you that much trouble, I'd say use a pair of dykes (as mentioned) to cut them off and get new ones from your dealer.
    2005 WRX Wagon - Silver

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.