Highly confused! boost issues

This is a discussion on Highly confused! boost issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In the last couple day my stock 02 WRX has been performing strangely. On saturday i noticed a decrease in ...

Highly confused! boost issues

In the last couple day my stock 02 WRX has been performing strangely. On saturday i noticed a decrease in performance during acceleration but just figured i might have gotten some less than optimal gas. However the next day my Turbo wouldnt spool past about 7psi, or half of what it should be at full throttle, and the turbo was incredibly laggy. Even at the 7psi, it still wasnt near pulling as hard as it would be during normal operating conditions. I couldnt hear any typical vaccum leak noises or any abnormal noise for that matter. I left digging into it for diagnosis for today, however this morning (a much colder morning than the previous two days) I got in my car and it ran absolutely fine, turbo spooled up all the way and car ran great. now there is no indication that there ever was a problem, even as the day warmed up to almost as hot as it was when it was having the trouble. What problem could i have been experiencing that would solve itself just with a little downtime and maybe some cold weather? I dont want to just leave well enough alone if those brief problems were an indication for some future issues. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    what mods do you have?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXtricky View Post
    In the last couple day my stock 02 WRX has been performing strangely. On saturday i noticed a decrease in performance during acceleration but just figured i might have gotten some less than optimal gas. However the next day my Turbo wouldnt spool past about 7psi, or half of what it should be at full throttle, and the turbo was incredibly laggy. Even at the 7psi, it still wasnt near pulling as hard as it would be during normal operating conditions. I couldnt hear any typical vaccum leak noises or any abnormal noise for that matter. I left digging into it for diagnosis for today, however this morning (a much colder morning than the previous two days) I got in my car and it ran absolutely fine, turbo spooled up all the way and car ran great. now there is no indication that there ever was a problem, even as the day warmed up to almost as hot as it was when it was having the trouble. What problem could i have been experiencing that would solve itself just with a little downtime and maybe some cold weather? I dont want to just leave well enough alone if those brief problems were an indication for some future issues. Any ideas? Thanks
    Im having the same problem on my 02 but i cant get over 6.5psi. When i figure out what it is i'll let you know maybe it will help
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

No Mods, All i have done to it is put a turbo timer on it. It has about 120k miles on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    1. Check your boost hoses and vac lines. WRX's tend to develop boost leaks at higher mileage levels. The reason it doesn't happen in colder weather could be that rubber shrinks in cold weather, thus self sealing the leak. A smoke test would do good here.

2. Fuel filter. When was it changed last?

3. Spark plugs, when were they changed last?

4. Catalytic converters. They do go out, especially so on FI cars. Could be that your cat is plugged or has come apart and plugged the muffler.

5. Oil usage. How much oil do you lose between oil changes?

6. Banjo bolts. I recently saw on an 04 STi where a Banjo bolt came apart and hindered valvetrain performance.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks for the reply,

Im going to check my hoses tonight and see if i can find anything. i cant hear any stereotypical vac leaks, but could be developing only at high pressures that i cant reproduce just sitting parked and reving the engine. Smoke test is a good idea. My fuel filter, spark plugs and pcv valve have all been replaced within 6months. The car uses absolutely no oil and i have been checking it twice a day the last couple days. My car just passed an emissions test with flying colors so my cat probably is fine, but how would i check for a clog? I do not know what a banjo bolt is, but i will do some forum searches and find out. thanks for your help.

I Support ClubWRX
    My guess is boost leak or plugged Cat.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Plugged cats usually have a pretty distinct smell, don't they? (rotten eggs or similar)
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Okay

First off i had the same problem with my bugeye (drove me insane!) also it was making weird noises at high rpm's almost as if rocks where fluttering around in my engine

Took it into the dealer and they claimed i needed a new turbo. they said it would fix the boost problem and the noise( so i got a new stock one, only because subaru payed for 75 percent of it)

The problem never happened for a long time after being fixed.

But then, after breaking it in i still heard the noise but didnt think too much of it. And then The turbo started doing the same thing again. Not spooling up all the way! Although it doesnt go out as frequently and doesnt stay messed up for long it still pisses me off. I have to take it in coming up soon so i will keep you guys posted.

Also i have noticed that sometimes when it stops working properly or starts working again it has been on a hill( dunno if it has anything to do with it, but who knows)

Message me or reply on this thread if you guys have any questions. Or please tell me if you have figured out the real problem!
    Last edited by morphine16; 04-15-2008 at 09:08 PM.
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P
    2008 hatch - Perrin stage 2

Check for boost leaks first thing, tighten down fasteners. That's the first place you should start.

Im not sure its a leak. It will boost consistantly to around .04 on my boost gauge. It almost feels like the turbo wants to spool past that but something is restricting it =(((((
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P
    2008 hatch - Perrin stage 2

My car is still having the same problem...It will drive top notch for about a week and then it will stop boosting all the way and drive kinda laggy...and then next time i get in my car its fine again. Ive worked my way all around my vac and pressure lines looking for leaks but didnt see or hear anything. Ive also noticed that when the car comes back from its boost problem and is running fine again, itll overboost and get up around 16 or 17 lbs, and then drop back down to normal. Despite not finding any issues, the only thing i can think of is there is a vac leak somewhere and it isnt restricing the wastegate to maximum boost. Otherwise could the computer restrict my boost if it get a faulty sensor reading? Granted it isnt coding out but could a small problem restrict the turbo but not throw a code?