smoke outta the hood scoop....advice?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on smoke outta the hood scoop....advice? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well i have an 04 WRX with ~82K on the clock. For all intents and purposes it is stock. Yesterday ...

smoke outta the hood scoop....advice?

Well i have an 04 WRX with ~82K on the clock. For all intents and purposes it is stock.

Yesterday i was driving home and i noticed a tiny bit of smoke coming out of my hoodscoop at the stoplight. NEVER HAS HAPPENED BEFORE. I immediately pull off the road into a gas station and open the hood. It looked and smelled like burning oil, but i couldnt find any leaks, and i wasnt low on oil at all. About 1500 miles ago i changed my oil with the standard full synthetic 5w-30 mobil one.

The smoke appeared to be coming from the turbo area. Im still hitting full boost and everything seems to be fine now. No smoke anymore, no funny noises, nothing out of the ordinary.

Ever happen to anyone before? Should i be worried?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you been touching your downpipe or turbo area with your hands? Sometimes the oils from your hands will get on the hot metals and will burn off. You may want to also look at the air conditioner drip hose line. I would imagine that it could come loose from the little clip that holds it in and it could have shimmyd over to the hot downpipe. Get in there again, look, snap some pics, post them here.

-Have you installed or taken off your intercooler lately? Anything that could be rubbing on the turbo's coolant lines and wearing it through?

....just some troubleshooting questions.
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

took off intercooler at 71K miles to replace with aftermarket spearco TMIC. Its a pretty snug but good fit in there. I know nothing got messed up during that because i was super anal about making sure everything was in its place afterwards.

When i said bascially stock, i meant nothing that really increased HP or messed with oil, coolant, turbo, or anything like that. Stock uppipe, downpipe. In Nebraska summer heat, a bigger intercooler is pretty handy. Stock heatshields are still in place.

I'll check this afternoon to see if the AC drainage hose is touching or got a little fried.

bumpo
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I had the same problem the dealership said the turbo seal went out and the mechanic showed me where the oil was leaking out and onto my hot downpipe causing smoke to come up from my hood scoop

well i looked and looked. And to no avail. I didn't see any burned hoses, or and signs of dripping oil anywhere. And it hasn't happened again since that first time.

Everything still seems normal and is functioning well.

i'll be throwing a VF34 on there in two months anyway....so when i pull the stocker off, I'll let you guys know if i see anything funny looking with it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.