cracked bumper paint

This is a discussion on cracked bumper paint within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So a while back someone must have been parallel parking and hit the driver side corner of my bumper making ...

cracked bumper paint

So a while back someone must have been parallel parking and hit the driver side corner of my bumper making some nice crack marks in the paint where the bumper flexed . Now, after leaving my car in long term parking at the airport for a week (which I was already hesitant about but had no other choice), someone hit my front bumper and cracked the paint in the same manner. Any suggestions on how to fix it without having to pay $600 to get the whole bumper repainted?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The paint shouldn't crack like that - it has been repainted poorly before? Someone hit me pretty hard in the rear and only scraped the clear. I think they are supposed to use a special stretchy paint for the polyuerathane. Sorry, sounds like you need to get it repainted correctly.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Banned
    i'm sure these are just stress fractures

and if they are, you are definitely going to need to repaint them

stress fractures are usually caused when someone applies so much force on the 'plastic' bumper that it actually gets little stretch marks. Therefore, not only does your paint have little stress fractures in it, but so does your bumper. depending on how bad it is you may actually need to buy new bumpers because even if they fix it, the constant contraction and expansion is going to cause those cracks to resurface.

damn, Yea, I think they are just stress marks. The paint is not actually chipping and the surface feels smooth, it just looks cracked.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrememotion View Post
    damn, Yea, I think they are just stress marks. The paint is not actually chipping and the surface feels smooth, it just looks cracked.
    well..i think i would save my $600 and just wait it out until it absolutely just haunts you, then i would paint it.

if it bothers you that much then just go shop around bodyshop for the best deal if not then just leave it as it is and from what im readin 600 buxs just for the bumper its way too much

I'm facing the same issue. Someone rearended me at very low speed and cracked the paint on my rear bumper. The estimate is for $500. Now the question is whether or not to get it repainted or use the money for something else on the car. Keep in mind that you can't even see it from literally 5 feet away. I'll probably end up just getting it repainted, but that $500 could get me a Protune and a few other goodies.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    I'm facing the same issue. Someone rearended me at very low speed and cracked the paint on my rear bumper. The estimate is for $500. Now the question is whether or not to get it repainted or use the money for something else on the car. Keep in mind that you can't even see it from literally 5 feet away. I'll probably end up just getting it repainted, but that $500 could get me a Protune and a few other goodies.
    did their insurance cover it? if so, go to several body shops and send their insurance company the two highest estimates. Then, the insurance company will send you a check for the lowest of those two numbers and you will have money to do whatever you want! This will also show everyone the types of morals you have! But seriously, you pay all this money in insurance and now you have a chance to get some of it back through someone else's fault.

I have the same problem with my front bumper, though I caused it through my own stupidity. There's no way to fix it other than repainting.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading