2007 sti air filter question

This is a discussion on 2007 sti air filter question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need to replace the air filter on my 2007 STi. I want to keep the stock air box, but ...

2007 sti air filter question

I need to replace the air filter on my 2007 STi. I want to keep the stock air box, but I'm trying to decide whether to get a stock subaru replacement filter or the SPT filter. The SPT catalogue says the filter (Part ST165464S000) is only for 04-06 stis. Will it also fit 07s? I'm assuming it probably will. Will the SPT filter be worth while or should I just stick with the stock one? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 10101 View Post
    I need to replace the air filter on my 2007 STi. I want to keep the stock air box, but I'm trying to decide whether to get a stock subaru replacement filter or the SPT filter. The SPT catalogue says the filter (Part ST165464S000) is only for 04-06 stis. Will it also fit 07s? I'm assuming it probably will. Will the SPT filter be worth while or should I just stick with the stock one? Thanks
    The Stock one should do you just fine

The stock airboxes and paper filters have been proven to work best over everything else. SPT, K&N, Green Filters are good, but also cost more.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The Stock one should do you just fine

The stock airboxes and paper filters have been proven to work best over everything else. SPT, K&N, Green Filters are good, but also cost more.
    +1, just stick with the stock paper filter. I don't know how much the dealer charges, but you can get one from Autozone or your local auto parts store for about $10.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Both AFE and Amsoil sell dry flow washable media filters that flow better than paper.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Both AFE and Amsoil sell dry flow washable media filters that flow better than paper.
    Link where i can purchase either one that will fit my 03..
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Banned

k&n

I recommend k&n. It flows better than stock and wont mess up you MAF. Also lasts forever, and is recommended if you do any mods.

Banned

k&n

I recommend k&n. It flows better than stock and wont mess up your MAF. Also lasts forever, and is recommended if you do any mods.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    I recommend k&n. It flows better than stock and wont mess up your MAF. Also lasts forever, and is recommended if you do any mods.
    And you got this info from where?Any oiled media filter can mess up the MAF sensor.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    Link where i can purchase either one that will fit my 03..
    I would have to search just like you.Get the part #'s from the manufacture's website and Google search it.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    And you got this info from where?Any oiled media filter can mess up the MAF sensor.
    k&n has charts that show the increased flow on their website. scoobytuner.com reccomends k&n over a CAI or stock filter....for the record. they say that their is a chance that could happen with the MAF, pretty sure I've only seen one person on this forum who had it happen. My 06 sti runs like a dream with a k&n
    Last edited by chrisp; 04-04-2008 at 01:45 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    k&n has charts that show the increased flow on their website. scoobytuner.com reccomends k&n over a CAI or stock filter....for the record. they say that their is a chance that could happen with the MAF, pretty sure I've only seen one person on this forum who had it happen. My 06 sti runs like a dream with a k&n
    FYI I run a Green filter.Any cotton mesh filter will flow more than paper at the sacrifice of filtering ability.I was commenting on your statement about not contaminating the MAF sensor.K&N is known for over saturating their filters from the factory.You shouldn't just search the pond when there is an ocean of information available.I have seen K&N's website and the main problem is who cleans and "recharges" the filter?K&n?No the consumer.So thats great that the K&N white collar engineer's follow the intructions to a T,but the blue collar factory worker running the machinery or the consumer that doesn't only use 2 oz's of oil equally distributed on the cotton face is going to have some problems.
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=k%2...F-8&fr=hp-psdt
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I've experimented with various intake/filter combinations on other cars I've owned. That's why I want to keep the stock box and either go for the stock filter or the SPT. I don't want an oiled filter because of the issues with the MAF, and in my opinion oiled filters don't filter as well or as consistently as a paper filter. I figure the stock box with a paper filter is just fine for an engine that's 100% stock. I'm considering the SPT filter because it is a paper filter just like stock, but Subaru says it flows better. I don't want to trade filtering ability for flow. I'm assuming Subaru wouldn't offer this filter if it didn't filter pretty well though. Stock will cost me about $20 from the local dealer. The SPT is $60 online. Could someone please tell me if the '06 and '07 STI air filter are interchangeable?