What oil filter and what oil? FINAL
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on What oil filter and what oil? FINAL within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been searching for days and days and hours upon hours just to find what would be a good ...

What oil filter and what oil? FINAL

I have been searching for days and days and hours upon hours just to find what would be a good oil filter and what oil is good to use.
    This has been ridiculously difficult and every place says something different and there's nothing for sure.
    Subaru says use Castrol Syntec and NOT mobil1.
    Nasioc says Castrol syntec is crap, not even real synthetic.
    everyone says they use mobil1 but subaru said that it voids the warranty on the 07's.
    ????????????

no for oil filters.
    Everyone says use OEM.
    I can understand that, but Purolater is just a basic filter.
    What other filters are good?
    Everyone says Fram sucks? why?
    can't be any worse than Purolater.

So I just want a final answer, i'm sick of searching and reading.

I have a 2007 Stage1 WRX.

WHAT OIL SHOULD I USE (5w-30 or 20?) I live in the mountains so 5w-20 or 30?

WHAT OIL FILTER SHOULD I USE?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not that complicated. Look in the manual and at the 06+ oil TSB and find the oil viscosity and specifications listed. Buy any oil you like that meets those requirements. If you buy the Subaru filter and it fails, Subaru may pay the bill (I say "may" since you've modified the car). If you buy a filter from anyone else, even the supplier to Subaru but not Subaru directly, and the filter fails, Subaru won't pay the bill. That's really all it boils down to.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Having spent HOURS researching this topic I am comfortable using a OEM filter (why not subaru likes them) and any name brand oil that fills the warranty requirements. Maintain proper intervals and check the oil level at every fill up. You basically CANT go wrong doing this.

This leaves the option to test several different brands in your driving conditions. If you are overly paranoid have samples sent out to Blacklab Corp. and get them tested. Find which one works best with your motor and just stick with it.

Once you are out of the "warranty" for the motor then I'd still use OEM filters (why not..they dont cost any more then a good filter from another company) and any name brand oil. If you want to run Syn. oil you can as long as it fit's Subaru's requirements. There is NOTHING that I've seen that says you should not use Syn. oils in Subaru's (for any year). The only oil TSB that I've seen indicated that oil change intervals should be at 3,xxx for all TURBO motors instead of the 7k "idea conditions" interval that the owners manual states.

Some people have had consumption issues with Mobile 1 in the lower weights....it's not going to burn off in a few start ups...that is why you have to monitor it. If you do notice some consumption with whatever you pick as long as you monitor it odds are nothing is going to go wrong other then you might be 5-10 dollars in the hole per oil change for having to "top off" the oil.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Ok, I know that.

I just want a straight up answer from someone. what oil? and what filter (assuming OEM is not available)?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    Ok, I know that.

I just want a straight up answer from someone. what oil? and what filter (assuming OEM is not available)?
    There isnt a straight answer....there is no one perfect oil that fixes everything and will run better then every other oil....that's why everyone keeps saying the same thing.

Why is OEM filter not available? Buy them in bulk if a dealership isnt near by..you'll probaly save money anyway.

You are looking for an answer that doesnt exist.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    There isnt a straight answer....there is no one perfect oil that fixes everything and will run better then every other oil....that's why everyone keeps saying the same thing.

Why is OEM filter not available? Buy them in bulk if a dealership isnt near by..you'll probaly save money anyway.

You are looking for an answer that doesnt exist.
    That's what I was afraid of. Being that i'm horribly indesicive, I was hoping that someone would say use this or that.
    Oh well, Subara recently said Castrol Syntec 5w-something was the way to go, I guess i'll use that.
    ...and I guess I will be buying bulk as well. no dealers around here
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

I Support ClubWRX
    I have not heard Subaru endorse a product by name. They typically require certain specifications. As long as you use something that meets those specificatios (and they vary by year) then you're set.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I have not heard Subaru endorse a product by name. They typically require certain specifications. As long as you use something that meets those specificatios (and they vary by year) then you're set.
    I have the thread bookmarked on here.
    It's some kinda update Subaru released about oil and the 07's.
    It didn't endorse anything but it had a short list of oils that met it's standards, and Castrol syntec was on there, so was mobil1 but the weight I need for my area didn't meet standards. Castrol did.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the thread bookmarked on here.
    It's some kinda update Subaru released about oil and the 07's.
    It didn't endorse anything but it had a short list of oils that met it's standards, and Castrol syntec was on there, so was mobil1 but the weight I need for my area didn't meet standards. Castrol did.
    OK good, I've seen that thread also, it makes sense. Honestly, don't worry too much. Just get something with the correct specs and keep up the maintenance schedule correctly and you ought to be fine. I'm out of warranty but still keep all my receipts in a binder (from 2002 -- everything dated and with notes on what the mileage was at the time).

OK good, I've seen that thread also, it makes sense. Honestly, don't worry too much. Just get something with the correct specs and keep up the maintenance schedule correctly and you ought to be fine. I'm out of warranty but still keep all my receipts in a binder (from 2002 -- everything dated and with notes on what the mileage was at the time).
    I hate indesiciveness

Well i'm glad it's finally settled.
    I guess what really riled me a bit was that I just read a thread on Nasioc that linked to a article about how Castrol Syntec was proven to not really be synthetic...but it was a bunch of stupid reading and just worried me a bit.

I'm gonna hit up subarusenuineparts and get some filters.
    thanks for the help, I need to organize my papers to.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess what really riled me a bit was that I just read a thread on Nasioc that linked to a article about how Castrol Syntec was proven to not really be synthetic...but it was a bunch of stupid reading and just worried me a bit.
    It's a long story but the summary is that all versions of Syntec available in the US are synthetic in terms of legal marketing practices, but most versions of Syntec available in the US are not synthetic in terms of chemistry. In the end, it only matters to me because there is no price break between the true synthetics and the marketing US legal synthetics, but someone that did not know all this already would have no way of knowing by product performance alone -- all of them work as intended. The issue has now become semantic in the US. It's an interesting story but at the end of the day, if the bottle lists the correct specifications for our application you can use the product regardless of source or synthesis pathway.

It's a long story but the summary is that all versions of Syntec available in the US are synthetic in terms of legal marketing practices, but most versions of Syntec available in the US are not synthetic in terms of chemistry. In the end, it only matters to me because there is no price break between the true synthetics and the marketing US legal synthetics, but someone that did not know all this already would have no way of knowing by product performance alone -- all of them work as intended. The issue has now become semantic in the US. It's an interesting story but at the end of the day, if the bottle lists the correct specifications for our application you can use the product regardless of source or synthesis pathway.
    Exactly.
    Plus, the only thing that set Castrol out of being chemically synthetic was their addition of a super-synthesized mineral oil, which they claimed to increase the quality and performance of their oil and they claimed it to be superior to Mobil1. Then mobil1 probably through a pissy fit.
    If it works, then it's good.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

I'm currently using mobil1 and OEM filter, no issues. Was thinking about going a different route. Might try amsoil, only heard good things about it.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Sticky at top of forum.

Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus

I use nothing but OEM filters. There are a ton of studies showing the differences between them and compares them cut open. Being a design engineer, and knowing how much thought goes into oil supply, filtration, design requirements etc, I'll stick with OEM. That way there isn't any doubt.

If you like extensive research, there are tons of oil filter comparos where they cut them open and compare and measure media, I've read them and made my own conclusions.

The OEM filter is $9 with a brand new crush washer from the dealer. The crush washer should be replaced every oil change. Why? CAUSE ITS A CRUSH WASHER! Another bonus, the o-ring on the stock filter comes prelubed!

A crappy fram filter is $6.99, add in the $1.25 for the crush washer and where are you at? Saving $.75? No thanks.

Oil. I used to use just regular dino 5w30 SM Energy Conserving change out every 3 k miles. I started to notice pretty bad oil breakdown (same as I had in my previous FI car) so I switched to M1 5w30 SM Energy Conserving. Works great, no breakdown, maintenance intervals now at 3k-5k miles.

CN:

OEM FILTER AND CRUSH WASHER
    M1 5w30 SM ENergy Conserving
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 04-02-2008 at 05:03 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    OEM are best - see for yourself: http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/oil/filters/
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.