What oil filter and what oil? FINAL - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on What oil filter and what oil? FINAL within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones Thanks very much for that info. I'll be checking if that TSB was done on my ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Thanks very much for that info. I'll be checking if that TSB was done on my car tonight!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. You should follow recommendations because that is what the car is designed for. The oil channels, oil pump, etc are designed with a certain weight of oil in mind. Using a different weight oil could result in inadequate delivery of oil to the necessary parts of the engine. Here's another example: 93 octane gas is recommended in my car. Sure, I could use 87, but the ECU will have to retard ignition to prevent damage to the engine. So you can do whatever you like, but I'm going to do what the manufacturer recommends.
    The factory manual seems to be recommending ALOT of different oils well with in using a 0w-40.I'm assuming you have not seen this?:

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/STi_Manual/index.htm

Last edited by Donkey; 04-04-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

So any 1 weight in Mobile 1 synthetic that can run year round (new jersey)?
    Just remember, capitalization and punctuation marks the difference between, "I just helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and, "i just helped my uncle jack off a horse"
    04 Wrx Wagon Cobb Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

I Support ClubWRX
    Remember, under warranty do exactly as the book says.

Out of warranty, in your area, I'd use any Mobil 1 variant that does not have a 10, 15, or 20 on either end of the W, but that's just me.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker View Post
    So any 1 weight in Mobile 1 synthetic that can run year round (new jersey)?
    Sure, there are several weights that fit the bill. I'd just get the 5w-30 that is the main oil recommended, and is also the easiest to find.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Sure, there are several weights that fit the bill. I'd just get the 5w-30 that is the main oil recommended, and is also the easiest to find.
    Out of curiosity I asked a mechanic at a local oil change place what weight he would recomnend for my car for summer.

He said that anything besides 20weight would void my warranty.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't seen a mechanic at an oil change place in years. In any case, what he or she or anyone says, including me, is meaningless. All that matters is what's written in your owner's manual and what's released by SOA in terms of TSBs -- that's what dictates what you have to do to maintain the warranty agreement, and what SOA will do in return if something goes boom. The rest is useless.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I haven't seen a mechanic at an oil change place in years. In any case, what he or she or anyone says, including me, is meaningless. All that matters is what's written in your owner's manual and what's released by SOA in terms of TSBs -- that's what dictates what you have to do to maintain the warranty agreement, and what SOA will do in return if something goes boom. The rest is useless.
    Ok, so you just said to use oil that is 30weight and not any other...but the recent TSB said that 20weight is the one to use. (castrol syntec)

the guy also said that any of the new cars run 20weight.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

Well since I'm out of warranty, Mobile 1 5w-30 it is! thanks!
    Just remember, capitalization and punctuation marks the difference between, "I just helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and, "i just helped my uncle jack off a horse"
    04 Wrx Wagon Cobb Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    Out of curiosity I asked a mechanic at a local oil change place what weight he would recomnend for my car for summer.

He said that anything besides 20weight would void my warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    Ok, so you just said to use oil that is 30weight and not any other...but the recent TSB said that 20weight is the one to use. (castrol syntec)

the guy also said that any of the new cars run 20weight.
    Your first mistake is trusting a guy at an oil change place. Your second is calling him a "mechanic". It doesn't require any knowledge of cars to work at one of those places. A trained monkey can change oil, and probably better than a lot of the people that work at those types of places!

What TSB are you referring to? Link?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234