What oil filter and what oil? FINAL - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on What oil filter and what oil? FINAL within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The OEM filter's size is important as well. The larger OEM ones were collecting too much heat (as would the ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The OEM filter's size is important as well. The larger OEM ones were collecting too much heat (as would the Fram etc. most likely) and were discontinued in 2003 IIRC.

Castrol seems to be the syn brand carried at all of the Subaru dealers I have gone to, so I am not surprised if they are endorsing it.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've only used Mobil 1 oil and filters on all of my cars for years now. It started when I bought a Porsche 911 in 2001. Porsche only uses Mobil 1 in their cars from the factory and the recommended oil change interval is 20,000 miles on the latest 911 models, and it was 15,000 miles on the last series before that. That should tell you pretty well that Mobil 1 is what you want to use.

I also use Mobil 1 filters because they are more effective than anything else on the market. They remove 99% of particulates, while other filters get 98% at best, and the factory filters as well as some other cheap brands get I believe more like 95%.

I have noted some burnoff of oil, but that's pretty standard in any high HP car that you drive hard. You may need to add a quart every few thousand miles. I change the oil in my STi at about 8k miles and top it off in between. I would let it go longer, but since there's only 5 quarts of oil in the engine, I like to do it a little sooner rather than later. My 911 had a 10 quart oil capacity and no turbo so it didn't burn oil nearly as fast, and it had more oil overall to make sure things were adequately lubricated.

So to summarize:
    Buy 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30 - Ignore the "extended life" stuff, all Mobil 1 is extended life. It's just a marketing ploy!
    Buy a Mobil 1 filter - Your car uses the M-108 model I believe.
    Change your oil every 8-10 miles.
    Add a quart every 3k miles between oil changes.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

use amsoil oil and filter

0w-30 ftw
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Oil Filer

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I've only used Mobil 1 oil and filters on all of my cars for years now. It started when I bought a Porsche 911 in 2001. Porsche only uses Mobil 1 in their cars from the factory and the recommended oil change interval is 20,000 miles on the latest 911 models, and it was 15,000 miles on the last series before that. That should tell you pretty well that Mobil 1 is what you want to use.

I also use Mobil 1 filters because they are more effective than anything else on the market. They remove 99% of particulates, while other filters get 98% at best, and the factory filters as well as some other cheap brands get I believe more like 95%.

I have noted some burnoff of oil, but that's pretty standard in any high HP car that you drive hard. You may need to add a quart every few thousand miles. I change the oil in my STi at about 8k miles and top it off in between. I would let it go longer, but since there's only 5 quarts of oil in the engine, I like to do it a little sooner rather than later. My 911 had a 10 quart oil capacity and no turbo so it didn't burn oil nearly as fast, and it had more oil overall to make sure things were adequately lubricated.

So to summarize:
    Buy 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30 - Ignore the "extended life" stuff, all Mobil 1 is extended life. It's just a marketing ploy!
    Add a quart every 3k miles between oil changes.

The Mobil 1 oil filter is made by Champion Laboritories. They also make Bosch and Supertech oil filters to name a few. Its virtually all the same filter with a different name. And yes, Supertech is the brand found at your local Wal-mart for about $2.50.

Ive used them in my precious cars (just now bought a subaru and will use Supertech) and convinced my dad to use them in all his. Love it and at $2.50 you can't beat the price. Yeah its a Wal-mart brand and flame me if you want but do the research yourself. Its a quality product.

Quote Originally Posted by aorig View Post
    The Mobil 1 oil filter is made by Champion Laboritories. They also make Bosch and Supertech oil filters to name a few. Its virtually all the same filter with a different name. And yes, Supertech is the brand found at your local Wal-mart for about $2.50.

Ive used them in my precious cars (just now bought a subaru and will use Supertech) and convinced my dad to use them in all his. Love it and at $2.50 you can't beat the price. Yeah its a Wal-mart brand and flame me if you want but do the research yourself. Its a quality product.
    I've looked at the Bosch and Mobil 1 filters side by side at my local auto parts store and they aren't the same filter material or design inside. The Mobil 1 says right on it that it filters 99% of particles down to N microns, while the Bosch says 98% for the same size microns.

I don't know about the Wal-mart brand, but I seriously doubt it's the same filter as the Mobil 1 branded filter. I don't doubt that they could be made by the same company, but I don't think they're the same filter inside. I'm not going to flame you for buying a store brand filter. I buy lots of store brand stuff. Wal-mart doesn't make it like you said, so why not buy it and save yourself some $$$?

For the $7 or so difference, which I only have to pay maybe once every 8 months, I'll take the piece of mind and buy the Mobil 1 filter.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

So to summarize:
    Add a quart every 3k miles between oil changes
    I like the sound of this. I know about the Porsche recomnendations for oil changes and that is definately points for mobil1.

But what do you mean every 8-10miles? you mean 8-10k miles?
    so mobil1 has a burnoff problem?
    how does this compare to Castrol syntec for my 07?
    and are you sure that's the filter number?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    Probably not so much that M1 has a burn off problem, but the Porsche engine consumes a little oil. For a high performance engine to consume a little oil is very common, in fact most HP cars you can think of use a little oil. Heck your Subaru consumes oil. You probably never notice because you change the oil every 3k and never think to look at the level or measure how much comes out. Pull your intercooler at 30k miles and see how much oil is in it .
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    Yeah every 8-10k.
    All oils burn off in high HP cars, so you'll need to add oil no matter what oil you use.
    I like Mobil 1. Castrol Syntec may be a quality product, but I really don't know. I know Mobil 1 is high quality and it's the same price.
    That's the filter number for my STi and there shouldn't be any difference for the WRX engine. But just ask in your local auto parts store, or most of them will have a book in the filter section that will tell you what one to get. The M-108 is the common filter across a lot of 4 cylinder cars regardless of car manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Probably not so much that M1 has a burn off problem, but the Porsche engine consumes a little oil. For a high performance engine to consume a little oil is very common, in fact most HP cars you can think of use a little oil. Heck your Subaru consumes oil. You probably never notice because you change the oil every 3k and never think to look at the level or measure how much comes out. Pull your intercooler at 30k miles and see how much oil is in it .
    +1 what he said
    Scott

I Support ClubWRX
    Purolator Pure 1 filter
    Mobil 0w-40 synthetic most of the time or what synthetic is on sale in the same weight

All the frigg'n info you could want on oil and filters: www.bobistheoilguy.com

The problem with Mobil1 5w-30 was that it was a thin 30 weight.I think maybe they have changed the thickning agent.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Is there a negetive effect of switching from regular oil to Syntec at 70k? Or will it be ok.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Banned
    I have a question. Is this stuff any good. 0w-30
    I went to walmart and tried to find regular 5w-30 but they were out. I saw this stuff and it said that it met the same requirements as 5w-30. It also had some stuff that said it wouldn't void warrenties on certain cars.

My question is how do you pick the weight for this stuff or should I be avoiding it all together.

Oh and I heart Walmart and there 5 quart jugs of oil

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    Is there a negetive effect of switching from regular oil to Syntec at 70k? Or will it be ok.
    Synthetic oils have a tendency to get past worn rings and other worn parts on higher mileage cars, so a lot of times it's better to run a slightly thicker oil. But other than that, you can only do good things by switching to a synthetic. It's a superior product to conventional oil.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    I have a question. Is this stuff any good. 0w-30
    I went to walmart and tried to find regular 5w-30 but they were out. I saw this stuff and it said that it met the same requirements as 5w-30. It also had some stuff that said it wouldn't void warrenties on certain cars.

My question is how do you pick the weight for this stuff or should I be avoiding it all together.

Oh and I heart Walmart and there 5 quart jugs of oil
    0w-30 and 5w-30 are close enough that it doesn't matter. You wouldn't want to run a 0w-40 or something that's that much off from the recommended weight.

Here's the basics of oil viscosity. The first number refers to the viscosity at 0* Celsius. The W means "winter". The second number is the viscosity at 100* C. So at summer temps, the 0w30 is going to have the same properties as the 5w30.
    Scott

Banned
    0w-30 and 5w-30 are close enough that it doesn't matter. You wouldn't want to run a 0w-40 or something that's that much off from the recommended weight.

Here's the basics of oil viscosity. The first number refers to the viscosity at 0* Celsius. The W means "winter". The second number is the viscosity at 100* C. So at summer temps, the 0w30 is going to have the same properties as the 5w30.
    So something like a 5w-40 should be used when it gets really hot. right? I know they say that you want to thicken it up if your car is seeing a 100* + for extended periods.

I Support ClubWRX
    I use 0W-40 or 5W-40 year round, only changing from one to the other due to availability and convenience. Look on mobil1.com at the viscosity and low temperature characteristics of whatever oil you're interested in and the info will tell you for what weather ranges it's suitable. The 0W-30 should be OK for anywhere cooler than Death Valley, including the arctic circle, but the use or burn rate may be different than what you're accustomed to so check the oil frequently (whenever you change types check frequently).

If your want something more robust at higher temps but with the same low temp performance look into a 0W-40. M1 0W-40 is ACEA A3 and is generally a good product (the whole range is just fine). My car tends to use a touch more of it than the M1 5W-40 but it's not an issue at all, we're talking a few hundred ml over 5,000 miles. Since you are out of warranty you don't have to follow the suggested viscosity ranges from the manual anyway.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast