how to get that wooosh/pssssss sound? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on how to get that wooosh/pssssss sound? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; awe but i wanted a recording of a big block v8 that i could rig up to play through my ...

awe but i wanted a recording of a big block v8 that i could rig up to play through my horns...... i like spending money on MY car not yours
    06 WRX VF39ED
    Wingl3ss @lliance #20
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 06hawkman View Post
    Do You Really Need To Get Tuned With The Cobb Intake?
    Not really. It's supposed to be one of the safest intakes out there.

A tune for serious breathing mods is always recommended, tho.

Just remember, the WRX/STI's have a fairly unrestrictive intake. A nice panel filter is a good mod for most. The shorter in-bay intakes (aka Short Ram or SRI) are sucking in some hotter air but are a little bit freer flowing. Most won't give you anything but some noise and a little worry. They do look nice, tho.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker View Post
    Do you really need an intake short of 350hp?
    Absolutely not. A nice panel filter is ok, but no need for anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627 View Post
    Not really. It's supposed to be one of the safest intakes out there.

A tune for serious breathing mods is always recommended, tho.

Just remember, the WRX/STI's have a fairly unrestrictive intake. A nice panel filter is a good mod for most. The shorter in-bay intakes (aka Short Ram or SRI) are sucking in some hotter air but are a little bit freer flowing. Most won't give you anything but some noise and a little worry. They do look nice, tho.
    The K&N Crinkle Red SRI comes with a box/shroud for the filter element and has a heat shield for the MAF.

I've had this intake on Cobb's vf34 map and now on an enginuity protune (thanks John@PrecisionTuning!), and I've never had an issue.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    IMHO - the best intake for our cars is the one I have

why?
    06 WRX VF39ED
    Wingl3ss @lliance #20
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

awe but i wanted a recording of a big block v8 that i could rig up to play through my horns...... i like spending money on MY car not yours
    http://www.musclecarsounds.com/details.htm

Now put your money where your mouth is. I expect to see a youtube video of this on your car.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Banned
    The K&N Crinkle Red SRI comes with a box/shroud for the filter element and has a heat shield for the MAF.
    IMO, its still drawing air in from under the hood. I'm no engineer and the last thing I know anything about is fluids, but I'd rather have a stock airbox drawing fenderwell air (snorkus delete)

why?
    Comes with box to shroud filter element from engine heat, same deal with protecting the MAF with a heat shield, it's one of the few intakes that has proper placement of the MAF... - it's just a well designed piece.

I'm gonna get one of those infrared temp sensors and get some readings from the MAF/Filter on my car, and the stock intake on another car.

To do this, I'll need some assistance - anyone wanna volunteer? If not I'll just do it at the next subaru meet, I'm sure it won't be hard to find someone to volunteer.

Who knows, I might find out that the stock intake yields lower temps, but I doubt it. It would be even better if someone else had the Greddy Informeter as it can be used to read the temp reported by the ECU. Still I would imagine anyone with a laptop and ECU tuning ability could do it. I'll have to mention it to John@PrecisionTuning next time I'm at the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627 View Post
    SPT intake ain't all its cracked up to be. It's actually been known to make our cars run lean :-(

Cobb hot air intake is ok.

If you want the noise, do the following:

Get the intake of your choice and put it in the trunk. Drive over to a tuner, install said intake and have them tune the car for it.

Its the only safe way to hear the pssshhhhht psssssshhhhhht, unless you eat some taco bell and drink fizzy soda...
    Where did you hear this? I was thinking about getting the spt intake myself in the near future but i would like to read more about it making our cars run lean.
    Last edited by WRX7886; 04-12-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX7886 View Post
    Where did you hear this? I was thinking about getting the spt intake myself in the near future but i would like to read more about it making our cars run lean.
    It was from the Cobb forums a while back.

Im not 100% sure on what the silencer delete does.

Does it help improve airflow?
    Is it any way at all bad for the car?
    And is there anything else i should know before doing this mod?
    -Thanks
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P
    2008 hatch - Perrin stage 2

If you want the sound without the BOV heres your answer,

Sunami Turbo.com

imho

Quote Originally Posted by c0d4 View Post
    If you want the sound without the BOV heres your answer,

Sunami Turbo.com

imho
    Oh man - I just had a great idea. Maybe it's the lack of sleep talking. How great would it be if I put one of these on my car and just wired it to a button for the express use of ridiculing people with BOV's.

Evo goes by rev's...pssssh, I catch up and don't rev at all and push the button over and over.

I don't think I'm gonna order it, but it's tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by morphine16 View Post
    Im not 100% sure on what the silencer delete does.

Does it help improve airflow?
    Is it any way at all bad for the car?
    And is there anything else i should know before doing this mod?
    -Thanks
    The resonator is in place to cancel out intake noise. Most cars nowadays have some sort of resonator, which is why installing an intake on any car usually results in a nice noise increase. So removing a resonator (on any car) increases intake noise. On the WRX specifically, it increases the recirc valve blow-off noise you are looking for.

As far as what difference it makes, well, you are getting air from the fender as opposed to the front of the car, you are removing a few pounds from the nose of the car, etc. Are any of these significant? Probably not, but there is ALWAYS a risk with ANY modifications made to your car. OEMs test the crap out of every part (I should know, that's my job); change it and you don't know what may happen.

If you want to be extra-safe, get a datalogger and log your MAF, IAT and front O2 readings before and after the change.
    Last edited by Zanardi1782; 04-16-2008 at 08:02 AM.
    2005 WRX Wagon - Silver

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Oh man - I just had a great idea. Maybe it's the lack of sleep talking. How great would it be if I put one of these on my car and just wired it to a button for the express use of ridiculing people with BOV's.

Evo goes by rev's...pssssh, I catch up and don't rev at all and push the button over and over.

I don't think I'm gonna order it, but it's tempting.
    the idea is a good one, the trick would be to make it obvious that you are making the sound with the megaphone, but at the light you have to look over and play paul walker.

the BOV guy will be like WTF every time
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.