WRX Wont start - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX Wont start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Also replace the wires going to the alternator and battery and battery to starter because you most likely damaged the ...

Banned
    Also replace the wires going to the alternator and battery and battery to starter because you most likely damaged the strands inside.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    All I Can Say Is That It Sounds Like You Fryed A Lot Of Circuits And Wires. And Fuses By Arking The Alternator. Check Fuses Under Dash, And All The Fuses In The Engine Bay.......... That Should Take Car Of It
    just checked all fuses etc and all seemed good... any other checks i can do? any help appreciated!!!

well my problem turned out to be nothing more than the main fuse blew to where i couldnt see it and thats it. no clue about the cel maybe the short caused it to throw it ???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx-toosee View Post
    well my problem turned out to be nothing more than the main fuse blew to where i couldnt see it and thats it. no clue about the cel maybe the short caused it to throw it ???

That's really cool you got it figured out. I hate hearing about subies down. If I were you I would just reset the ecu and see if it throws that code again. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by mikerotch2001 View Post
    Okay all that i can say is i do have some experience in detecting faulty wiring and it sounds like you possibly fried some of the relays in the underhood fuse box. Have you checked every single fuse in the interior fuse box? Have you checked every fuse in the under hood fuse box? If you have than move on to the relays if you have a chiltons or haynes and a basic ohmmeter from radioshack you can test each relay to see if they are any good. now moving on,take your battery to car quest or equivilant and have them check it sometimes you can blow just enough cells to make weird issues like this. If not the battery it is most likely the relays and i think you can have them checked by car quest or pepboys or whatever you use. If you can think of anything else let me know and i will try to help its going to be something really easy just gotta find it but definitely check the relays probably your problem.
    Can anybody tell me how to proerly test a relay? i tested all the fuses with the ohmmeter so all the signs are pointing to the relays but im unsure on how to test them, i switched them around but that did nothing if it makes any difference...

Ok, i had this EXACT same thing happen to me, there is a fuse box under the hood, pop that off, there is a fuse that is one of those big fuses its like 50A its one of the subfueses so says the lid for the fuse box, i cant remember which one it is but one of them is blown, i blew it installing a turbo timer and i ran a jumper wire, (a thin white wire i grabbed from my tool kit) from the bat to the ignition for like a week because i couldnt figure it out, go figure i ended up taking the timer out another week later it was pointless and stupid.

This will solve ur problem because u got that code from jumping the starter or w/e

PS YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE FUSE OUT TO SEE IF ITS BAD, THATS WHY I COULDNT FIGURE IT OUT!
    Last edited by Ditch64; 04-24-2008 at 10:22 PM.
    07 WRX CGM, blouch tdo6 18g and supporting mods. Defi racer series gauges, some other random stuff.
    04 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CC Silver (Sold and missed)

HAWK EYED ALLIANCE #686

hmm.. your probably out of gas.. :] jk man.. eh i say go w/ all of the above, anddd good luck w/ it.. free bump

It's either the 50A fuse.

If this is not the problem you prolly have a shorted Starter solenoid. Since the 80's about every car company that I know of has gone to a Starter / Starter Solenoid. You cannot replace just one. It will be the smaller cylinder on the starter that you connect the wires from the battery and the alternator. If this is fried you will have to replace the starter. To check this, there are a couple of ways.

1. (the hard way) You will need to use a set of jumper cables and connect one to the battery and crawl under the car and then touch the solenoid with it. I believe that it will be neg to neg. This is kind of dangerous as you will be under a suddenly running car if it works and you will have to worry about getting shocked.

2. (easy and normally free) IF the solenoid is bad... SOMETIMES if you are lucky, you can smack the solenoid with a hammer while someone tries to start the car. It may work, it may not. This is an old mechanics trick, and not good for the starter.

3. (the UBER easy way) Take the starter, alternator, and the battery out of the car. Take them all to an Auto Zone, or Advanced Auto, or whatever local auto parts store is around (those are local here in Ohio, and I know this is free) and have the store check all 3. If one or more are bad, they will tell you.

Also, you may have fried the rectifyer on your alternator and I would have that checked anyway. Those are very delicate and built into your alternator. IF it is bad, your car may still start, but it will not charge your battery while your car is running. Option 3 is the easiest and cheapest (in the long run) and all 3 of these will cover the ignition system of your car.

Hope this all helps a little.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.