Mobil 1 Extended Performance?

This is a discussion on Mobil 1 Extended Performance? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was at the local autoshop, where the salesman swore that any car with with over 50,000 miles should use ...

Mobil 1 Extended Performance?

I was at the local autoshop, where the salesman swore that any car with with over 50,000 miles should use the mobil 1 exdended performance synthetic fluid. My 02 has 75k on the clock and I was wondering who has had experience with this fluid. It seems to have the same viscousity, so I don't expect it to damage anything. But I wanted some first hand knowledge or expert advice. Thanks guys!

-Aaron

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Bob Is The Oil Guy has used oil analyses with data for almost any oil imaginable. I don't use the Extended Performance M1 myself; I use M1 0W-40 at this point (I used to use M1 turbo-diesel 5W-40 and don't hesitate switching between the two). Look on Bob's site for a Subaru with the M1 you're interested in and see what results they got. I'd expect no problems whatsoever but again, I use other M1 variants.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The first thing I did when I purchase my wagon was swapping it out to mobile 1 synthetic extended. It has 67K miles, no issues so far!
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

Here's a secret for you:
    All Mobil 1 is extended performance! The new stuff is just a marketing ploy.

Here's something to think about:
    Porsche uses Mobil 1 in their cars and the recommended change interval is 20k miles on the new 911 and 15k miles on the last model 911.

My STi goes 8k miles between oil changes, though it does get topped off in between. The filter is actually the first thing to wear out in general in any oil system when you're using synthetic oil. I also use Mobil 1 filters, though they are pretty pricey. They're 99% efficient versus 98% or less for every other brand I've ever seen.

On higher mileage cars, many times synthetic oils aren't recommended because the increased flow characteristics can make it more prone to leak by worn rings and other worn parts. You can actually help stop a lot of oil leak problems in older cars by using a conventional oil that's 1-2 weights heavier than the recommended weight.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Bob Is The Oil Guy has used oil analyses with data for almost any oil imaginable. I don't use the Extended Performance M1 myself; I use M1 0W-40 at this point (I used to use M1 turbo-diesel 5W-40 and don't hesitate switching between the two). Look on Bob's site for a Subaru with the M1 you're interested in and see what results they got. I'd expect no problems whatsoever but again, I use other M1 variants.
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics