Number 3 Cylinder Misfire
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Number 3 Cylinder Misfire within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I already searched and couldn't come up with much so I thought I would post this. My 03 threw up ...

Number 3 Cylinder Misfire

I already searched and couldn't come up with much so I thought I would post this. My 03 threw up a CEL on my way home from work today, I went to the Zone and ran the code, a Number 3 Cylinder misfire. I have been runningn Mobil 93 octane gas since the day I bought it, the oil is fine and I don't beat on the car except for a rare occasion. Anyway, I have 72K miles on the car and I bought an aftermarket warranty fromt the bank. If I need to I'll bring it in to be serviced, but does anyone have any ideas what I could look for before I bring it in? Coil pack or maybe wires? I read that 07's needed a reflash of the ECU. Any input or opinions would be helpful.
    Thanks!
    Bugeye Mafia #162
    03 WRX Wagon - Waiting for warranty to expire
    90 Talon TSi - Sold
    91 Pathfinder - Last legs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok, I had a thought. Every time my fan kicks on the car chugs a bit, and I believe during one of those fan cycles is when the CEL came on. So I had the battery and alternator tested. Both checked out bad so I am going to change those out first and see if the problem comes back when it's done. If anyone has any other ideas or anything else to add, please do so. Thanks
    Bugeye Mafia #162
    90 Talon TSi - Sold

I had the same problem with my 02 and when i took it into the dealer they said "my ECU needed an update". Cost me 54 bucks and the CEL has not came back. I know that yours is a bit newer than mine but it would be something to at least check out.

my 06 STI had the same problem i changed the coil packs and that fixed it ..
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #106
    06 WRX TR
    06 STI

1) Whens the last time you changed the plugs?
    2) If the coil pack is a suspect, swap coil packs and see if the CEL follows the change in location. If yes, then it's time for a new coil pack.

Quote Originally Posted by skimobile View Post
    1) Whens the last time you changed the plugs?
    2) If the coil pack is a suspect, swap coil packs and see if the CEL follows the change in location. If yes, then it's time for a new coil pack.
    I just changed them a month ago. I made sure they were all gapped right. I will try swapping the coils, but I want to eliminate the battery and alternator first. thanks
    Bugeye Mafia #162
    90 Talon TSi - Sold

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.