Shaking on nearly new WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Shaking on nearly new WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a quick question on my, what amounts to roughly a new WRX. I bought it last week ...

Shaking on nearly new WRX

So I have a quick question on my, what amounts to roughly a new WRX. I bought it last week and have been very happy with it. One thing that I've began to notice is that the car will shake when it idles, not too much but a few quick shakes that are readily apparent.

This has me kind of worried because the car only has 9,600 miles on it. I bought it from a dealership and the Carfax didn't indicate any kind of accident, however to me thats almost what it feels like. Is this normal on this car? I also feel it shake a bit when I first start it up, but only on ignition really. I'm wondering if I should go get the engine mounts checked out or inspected. What are your thoughts?
    2007 Impreza WRX Limited Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Four cylynders tend to shake the car at idle. With it being a flat four it is more balanced. I notice some shaking but nothing out of the ordinary.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Mine will "shudder" at idle also; for some reason alot more when it was brand new (04 WRX/stage II). Now it happens very seldom.
    Blob Eye Syndicate #1000

It's just that the 4 cylinder engine in general has an inherent imbalance.

Flat 4 Wikipedia

It's common to answer your question, unless there is hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by langridge View Post
    Mine will "shudder" at idle also; for some reason alot more when it was brand new (04 WRX/stage II). Now it happens very seldom.
    That kind of eases my mind a little. Since it is less then 10k miles then I wonder if its just worse now and will ease up a little

Quote Originally Posted by JMack View Post
    It's just that the 4 cylinder engine in general has an inherent imbalance.

Flat 4 Wikipedia

It's common to answer your question, unless there is hesitation.
    Although this is my first turbo'd car, its my third flat 4 car in a row. The other two were Honda's and never really had this issue. I don't notice any hesitation, I guess the "shudder" is actually a good way to describe it. Kind of like that feeling when you're on a roadway bridge stopped in a turn lane and you feel the shaking when other cars go by, since the bridge is actually moving.

Thanks for all of the responses though guys, it makes me feel a little better. The last thing I wanted was a new car that has already been in an accident or something.
    2007 Impreza WRX Limited Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by preludezen View Post
    That kind of eases my mind a little. Since it is less then 10k miles then I wonder if its just worse now and will ease up a little

Although this is my first turbo'd car, its my third flat 4 car in a row. The other two were Honda's and never really had this issue. I don't notice any hesitation, I guess the "shudder" is actually a good way to describe it. Kind of like that feeling when you're on a roadway bridge stopped in a turn lane and you feel the shaking when other cars go by, since the bridge is actually moving.

Thanks for all of the responses though guys, it makes me feel a little better. The last thing I wanted was a new car that has already been in an accident or something.
    my 07 has 6500 miles and occationally it will shake,.. happens once every other month
    nothing to worry about.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #0284
    TwoThousandSeven WRX TR..

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine used to shake, but since being protuned, and upgrading all my transmission mounts, I don't feel it anymore. I used to attribute it to a glitch with the stock ECU programming.

What are your mods? BOV?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

It's just the horizontally opposed four doing it's business. No worries.
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Mine used to shake, but since being protuned, and upgrading all my transmission mounts, I don't feel it anymore. I used to attribute it to a glitch with the stock ECU programming.
    I added a GroupN mount and pitch stop - this increased the shake. Softer mounts absorb more.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by preludezen View Post
    Although this is my first turbo'd car, its my third flat 4 car in a row. The other two were Honda's and never really had this issue.
    3rd flat 4 engine... as in you rode motorcycles? Honda only puts flat 4s in its bikes. The civic/accord/other cars are Inline 4 cylinder engines. Much different setup. This is nothing like your Honda. Think of your Civic and Accord engine as 4 vertical (llll, as an example) cylinders while the Subaru's flat 4 setup as more of an H (although not exactly).

Anyways, mine gets the shakes every once in a while at idle, but its not bad at all... just a small rumble and its gone.

I've read it smooths out if you get a equal length header, but then you loose the boxer rumble. I was worried about that too when I got my 05, it's normal

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    I added a GroupN mount and pitch stop - this increased the shake. Softer mounts absorb more.
    I upgraded all my TRANNY mounts. I think what happened is it stiffened the rear to keep the whole drivetrain from shaking, and the rest is absorbed in the softer engine mounts.

I dunno maybe the 2.5L and 2.0L's are different. I know they drive totally different.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I upgraded all my TRANNY mounts. I think what happened is it stiffened the rear to keep the whole drivetrain from shaking, and the rest is absorbed in the softer engine mounts.

I dunno maybe the 2.5L and 2.0L's are different. I know they drive totally different.
    Uh ... OK.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Uh ... OK.
    I just know it don't do it anymore, and it used to bug the carp out of me stock.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I just know it don't do it anymore, and it used to bug the carp out of me stock.
    The shaking does not bother me, although coming out of a sewing machine smooth Honda Prelude I thought it odd at first.

I added three hardened points around the tranny; GroupN pitch stop, trans mount and Kartboy rear crossmember bushings. The result was a noticeable increase in engine shake, some sound that precisely matches it and more gear whine.

On the plus side I have more precise shifting even with the original bone stock short throw shifter. All the other drivetrain mounts are OEM.
    Mods & Pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast