Boo on my battery
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Boo on my battery within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I went for a work trip for two weeks and when i flew in last night i go to start ...

Boo on my battery

I went for a work trip for two weeks and when i flew in last night i go to start my car and its dead.

Nothing electronic was working. Tomorrow im going to charge the battery and see if its salvagable otherwise im going to have to buy a new battery.

Has anyone else experienced this after not driving their car for a few weeks?
    Essayons!
    21B

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2580544 <-- My car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    In my personal experience over many years a car battery can and will die with no warning whether sitting idle or not. How old is it?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Batteries have always been left to chance, at least for me. A few years ago I was borrowing a '96 Outback from my parents to help me get stuff home from school at the end of the year. Fully loaded, I pulled into a gas station, filled it up, started the car and moved it about 20ft to the air pump to check/top off the tires before the trip. After all the tires were checked, I turned the key.... and... nothing.... not even a door chime, or a warning light, she was completely dead. I had literally started the car less than 2 min previous, and had loaded the car, then driven the mile from campus to the gas station with ZERO issues (not even a hint of a rough start etc). So here I was, with an instant dead battery at a gas station. I ended up getting a jump and driving around (leaving the car running everywhere) until I came across a muffler shop that sold batteries and could put one in right then.

On that same note, I've accidently drained the battery more than once in my WRX doing stupid things like leaving a map light or dome light on for an extended period of time . But, (knock on wood) after a jump and a good drive she has always been fine again.

I also have a buddy who just came home from a 3 week vacation to find that he had left the glove box (which has a nice little light) open in his truck the entire time. His 4 year old battery was toast, wouldn't begin to hold a charge after a jump.

Basically, you can kill them, and then they can just go on you. They seem to decided when they don't want to play anymore, at least in my experience.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    a good battery tester (puts a load on the battery) will tell you if it's shot or not

fully de-charging a battery shortens it life
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.