How do I test the o2 sensor?

This is a discussion on How do I test the o2 sensor? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am pretty sure from the cel and other peoples experience w it that the problem is my postcat o2 ...

How do I test the o2 sensor?

I am pretty sure from the cel and other peoples experience w it that the problem is my postcat o2 sensor, but how do i make sure. also the car is running terrible and i cant get the part for days if i just unplug it will it go to some preset settings or safemode or something and run better til i can get the part?
    Dirty Crew #8807
    02 wrx 246awhp sold to get 03
    03 wrx 400awhp also sold to get a house
    currently shoping though

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Scan your ecu and find out for sure, do you have a aftermarket downpipe?
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

I Support ClubWRX
    What code number?

If the CEL code specifies "bank x input high" then removing the O2 sensor entirely should not make any difference. High input means open circuit, and when you remove the sensor you get the same thing. Check for faults in the wiring first.

Checking the sensor itself requires a multimeter connected to the signal lead with the car running and I've not had to do this, sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

0031 and yeah that sounds right on what it is. o ok What voltage should there be on th wires. i would assume 12ish from other things on cars but didnt know for sure. but thanks for the help
    Dirty Crew #8807
    02 wrx 246awhp sold to get 03
    03 wrx 400awhp also sold to get a house
    currently shoping though

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's discussion about testing the O2 sensor using a mutlimeter. Keep in mind three things:

1. I have never done this.
    2. There is no second thing.
    3. I have never done this.

The reason I caution you is that the O2 sensor leads connect to the ECU, so have a clear plan before bridging any wires with the multimeter's leads.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...+oxygen+sensor
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.