Maintenance and parts question

This is a discussion on Maintenance and parts question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I posted a thread over in car purchasing but I thought of other relevent questions Quick question, as ...

Maintenance and parts question

Hey all, I posted a thread over in car purchasing but I thought of other relevent questions
    Quick question, as I will be looking for an 04 soon which will have about 50,xxx miles on it, when does the turbo usually go on these cars & when is when most change their timing belts? I would hope to use these as leverage since theyre the most costly of maintenance around this mileage. Thanks
    Also, when the turbo does go, I can't believe that I cannot google and find anyone selling the stock turbo. Surely there are some higher mileage cars that have had to replace the turbo, where did you guys go and how much did it cost? Also, this would be my first awd, how long do most all season tires last, as I have read the fronts wear faster and thus I must rotate more. I'm not a moron about cars, but I am just trying to figure out how much I am going to have to set aside for repairs/haggle with a dealer to take off. I know I have other questions I thought of but the forum was down and I'll have to add them as I go.

Thanks in advance, many knowledgeable and friendly people here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know back when I bought my car there were people upgrading their stock turbo and they were selling off the stock unit for about $750 slightly used. You could probably find one for the same price off here or some other subaru site. If you're looking for a new unit, you'll shell out around double that (roughly $1500). Now this is just the cost of the unit, not including labor to put it in if you're going to have someone do it for you. I can't tell you what labor costs would be, but I'd assume 3 hours or so of labor (if that much, the turbo is fairly easy to get to) at $60 a labor hour...so maybe $200 to get a shop to do the work.

However, depending on how the car was driven, you may not need a new turbo for many many years. My car was mostly highway driving, but a lot of stop and go traffic too. Now, it is more of an 'around the city' type of car. But it has 112,000 miles on it and the turbo is still kicking just fine. (*knock on wood*).

Timing belt should be done at 75,000 miles, fluid changes are due at 60k, so you'd be up for diff fluid, tranny fluid, etc in a few miles.

As far as tires, it really depends on how you drive and what compound tire you're looking at. Ideally you should rotate the tires every 6k miles for even wear. The problem I have had with my car is wearing on the inner part of the tire. Toe and camber were within spec the last time I got new tires, but I had them set the toe and camber a little closer to the 'straight' end of the acceptable range to try and prevent that. It isn't like I'm racing around corners all that much to warrant that kind of wear. But even with that I've gone through one initial set (replaced at ~30k with a good bit of wear left), and two slightly used (~30k on the first set and ~10k on the second set) and replaced the last set slightly early at111,000 miles on the odometer. So roughly 40 thousand miles on each set of stock RE-92s. I'm hoping to get better wear from my current non RE-92 set I have now.

Now if you get z rated, super soft tires and drive aggressively, you won't get that kind of wear. But I wouldn't expect many people around here with stock rated tires get much less than 30-40k on a set, and there are probably some members here who experience getting 50k+ on their tires because of driving habits.

Hope that helps.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, that helps a lot. I am still bewildered at the turbo thing still. Being a dsm'r I'm used to seeing turbos in good condition go for a couple hundred, but we also run higher boost so they might go a little quicker ( I never see the word shaft play even discussed here so I guess it's not as much of an issue). Still, paying 1500 for a stock turbo is a huge downside.. I can do the work myself so thats not an issue.

P.S. I'm a scarlet knight myself, but I still like vt even though you defected to the ACC

Quote Originally Posted by beastcivic View Post

Timing belt should be done at 75,000 miles, fluid changes are due at 60k, so you'd be up for diff fluid, tranny fluid, etc in a few miles.

Why 75xxx, owners manual says 105xxx.

and to the OP i got 70k out of my RE92s, I wouldnt say buy them, but it shows tires can last.
    Last edited by jeffmm06; 03-20-2008 at 11:08 AM.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

As the engine isn't an interference engine by design, is it like a timing chain as far as what can happen damage wise? not like a 4g63 where if the belt goes you can smash valves and pistons?

I think the $1500 I remember seeing was for both a new stock turbo and for an aftermarket, bigger, one too. But don't quote me on that. Oddly enough, they're Misubishi turbos, so you'd think we'd experience the same problems as DSMs.

I'm not sure the switch to the ACC has helped us much. I still have my "Save Rutgers Tennis" shirt around the house somewhere.

Jeff, what year is yours? I think the '02 and '03 are the same, I believe it was scheduled at 75k, because I know I let mine go over 100k and thought it was well overdue. Maybe the '04 and newer ones have a longer interval? Or maybe I'm totally wrong??

I was under the impression that at least the 2.0L turbo engine was an interference engine, so there would be the issue of mashing pistons and valves.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    The hot side on the subaru differs from the mitsu's. The stock wrx turbo is a td04L-13T. A used one can be had for $200 or less. A stock Sti turbo is a VF39 and can be had for around $400 used.

The stock tires suck, but rotate them every 3k miles and you'll be fine. I have come across hundreds of td04 turbos for sale on here, craigslist, Iclub, nasioc, ebay etc. If you decide to upgrade, a suitable replacement can be had for a little less than $1000 brand new. (16g, 18g, vf34, vf30)
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    The timing belt is not due for 105K miles on the 2L motor.

My theory regarding turbo longevity is that high mileage cars tend to have the stock unit in place, meaning the stock unit will work fine for a stock car if the car is maintained correctly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    The hot side on the subaru differs from the mitsu's. The stock wrx turbo is a td04L-13T. A used one can be had for $200 or less. A stock Sti turbo is a VF39 and can be had for around $400 used.

The stock tires suck, but rotate them every 3k miles and you'll be fine. I have come across hundreds of td04 turbos for sale on here, craigslist, Iclub, nasioc, ebay etc. If you decide to upgrade, a suitable replacement can be had for a little less than $1000 brand new. (16g, 18g, vf34, vf30)
    $200 is more like it , I must be typing td04L-13T wrong or something because I didnt see anything on ebay or craigslist. All great info guys, thanks. Hopefully I won't need to replace it for awhile anyways.