Walbro Fuel Pump install...

This is a discussion on Walbro Fuel Pump install... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone... I installed my Walbro Fuel Pump on Saturday morning... very straight forward like for like swap. But now ...

Walbro Fuel Pump install...

Hi everyone...

I installed my Walbro Fuel Pump on Saturday morning... very straight forward like for like swap. But now I have a fuel smell on cold starts... it goes away as the car reaches its operating temp... (15mins of driving)

(I did have the same smell prior to the install, but the smell is a bit stronger...)

The smell comes from the enginebay but you can also smell it inside the cabin coming through the air vents...?

I poped the hood and had a look and smell around. I nailed the sorce of the smell down to the below piont...

anyideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sti_bay_29mar07.jpg  
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

is it a burnt fuel smell? or is it a raw fuel smell. maybe a leaky injector if its a raw smell, or the fuel rail..

Its a raw smell... at first I thought it was something to do with where I worked installing the pump but I already checked that and the smell comes from the front so... could it be that something is leaking and now you smell it stronger dude to the stronger pump?

Also why only when its cold?
    Member #0135

fuel is more condenced when its cold and it will be stronger also seals like on the fuel injector or the rail constrict when cold maken it easier for a leak. also when its warm out fuel will evaporate to fast to smell more than likely where you live

just got off the phone with the service manager at our local subaru dealer, he said it could be a busted oring on the injector. I live in South Africa, Johannesburg... putting 1 and 1 together it makes sense that I would notice it now... as we had a cold front over the weekend. Thing is on the way to work this morning it was fine?
    Member #0135

+1 to the bad o-ring

Could you have possibly nicked a fuel line doing something in the engine bay? In the cold, the soft line would be less flexible and constricted causing a VERY slow leak, but when it is warm the rubber would expand and become more pliable causing the leak to "self-fix" taking the smell away. I'm no expert, but that's where I would start looking.

Quite possible, I have spent a good 30mins looking if I could fine anything out of the ordinary but... not being an expert too its kinda hard to tell.

I think I should just book it in at the dealer and have them asses the situation. (Since there is no way to pin point the fault)

Even doing the oring change myself is a no go... I read the procedure in the service manual and you need to remove the intake manifold to get the injector etc. (big job for something so simple)

Frustrated!
    Member #0135

do a smoke test to pin point the leak
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Hey rr1911!

I have to thank you for pushing me in the right direction every time... but you need to abbreviate please bro... im like in grade 1 when it comes to suby's or mechanic's in general?!

How do I do the smoke test?
    Member #0135

i know your in a diffrent country but here in the states sears carrys a kit you can plug in to the vaccum or fuel lines and it pumps smoke into the system and where ever the leak is the smoke comes out of

o the name is Ralph btw
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Cool im Eugene, and you dont want to get me started on how bad this place is... as we speak we have load shedding. Not sure you guys have seen it on the news over there but our power stations cant keep up with the demand and cut power on one gird to give to another etc.

I really envy you guys for having the acsess to parts, tools and market e.g. on modding cars... To sort his problem of the fuel smell, is gonna cost me... Subaru Dealer wants to charge me a fee for just looking at the car...

Crime is bad and getting worse...

The states is the one place I woulnd mind moving to.
    Member #0135

Good example is;
    Walbro pump

Ebay 99$
    SA - big boss auto (new) R1400
    I got mine from a mate 2nd hand R600
    SA Rand is R7 to your $1
    go figure!
    Member #0135