No oil!!?? blown motor!!?? HELP!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on No oil!!?? blown motor!!?? HELP!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is a pretty long story.....so i was selling my 02 wrx to some guy he lives like 2 hours ...

No oil!!?? blown motor!!?? HELP!!

This is a pretty long story.....so i was selling my 02 wrx to some guy he lives like 2 hours away from me and he came down to buy the car....so i take him for a test drive and then he drives the car....everything is perfect the car is running fine, no problems.....i sell him the car and about an hour later he calls me and tells me that the check engine light came on and that the car is making a rattling sound so he pulls over to a gas station or something and revs the car to show me the sound through the phone and it sounds like a rattle....he then calls me like 30 min later and tells me th car died on him and it wont start, that he was going to call a tow truck and tow it back to my house......i couldnt understand what happened cause the car was fine it never gave me problems like that....i drove the car every single day to school and work and never had a check engine light come up......so he tows the car back to my house and he tells me that the tow truck guy thinks that it was the timing belt.....so i said ok ill get it fixed, but he wanted his money back so i agreed to give him his money back.......the next day my mechanic looks at the car and checks the oil and tells me there is absolutely no oil in the car.....now this is impossible considering that i had 1700 miles since the last oil change, there is no way that i had no oil and i know that my oil was never leaking because i would always check under my car and i never had any smoke coming from my hood.......so today im in school and the guy text's me and tells me if i had any word on the car and so i tell him not yet because the mechanic just towed the car to his shop a day before.....he tells me (without me saying anything about no oil or possible blown motor) "if the motor is blown how much do you want for just the car because i have an 03 engine with an sti block".......now my question is wouldnt my oil light have come up if i had little oil left? i had a slight problem that i had told him about which was my car taking a little longer to crank up when its cold that i believed were my spark plugs......but how is it possible that as soon as i sell him the car, there is no oil in it and the motor is possibly blown or is blown......also he is dying to buy the car without the engine for $4000......my car has an 05 sti tranny, 05 sti axles, 05 sti brembos both front and back, brand new rims.....what do you guys think....is it fishy or what????.......thanks for all those who took the time to read this
    Last edited by wrx0131; 03-14-2008 at 07:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    When was the last time you checked the oil level in the car?

When he looked the car over, didn't he check the oil?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    When was the last time you checked the oil level in the car?

When he looked the car over, didn't he check the oil?

The last time was probably months ago.....and no he didnt check it, but i hadnt even put 2000 miles on since my last oil change

I Support ClubWRX
    I smell something fishy..
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't mean to be harsh....

but honestly, yerr um special. You got took by a crook. I would have said "well chief you bought it, its yours" *click*. Who knows what kind of shenanigans he pulled after he left your house. Doughnuts, ebrake slides, clutch drops, 160 mph, etc. If you are in good confidence that you sold the car in tip top shape, then I would not have touched that thing with a 10 foot poll. Effectively someone just did $5000 damage to your car and got away scott free. Worse part is you let him.

I feel for you but .
    wow just wow.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post

but honestly, yerr um special. You got took by a crook. I would have said "well chief you bought it, its yours" *click*. Who knows what kind of shenanigans he pulled after he left your house. Doughnuts, ebrake slides, clutch drops, 160 mph, etc. If you are in good confidence that you sold the car in tip top shape, then I would not have touched that thing with a 10 foot poll. Effectively someone just did $5000 damage to your car and got away scott free. Worse part is you let him.

I feel for you but .
    wow just wow.
    yea i wasnt thinking but i realize it now....

i had this fear halfway through your story as well. i really don't think he blew the engine on purpose to get the car parts for less, because theres no way he could have known you would take it back. But i think he may just be an idiot, drove it like an idiot for a few hours, then returned it when something went wrong.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

Quote Originally Posted by 06PearlWRX View Post
    i had this fear halfway through your story as well. i really don't think he blew the engine on purpose to get the car parts for less, because theres no way he could have known you would take it back. But i think he may just be an idiot, drove it like an idiot for a few hours, then returned it when something went wrong.
    i dont think he drove it hard or anything and even if he did why would my motor just blow....you would have to redline it for like a minute to blow the motor....but the thing i cant comprehend is why i dont have oil in the car.....i think he drained out the oil and then drove it until my motor was done.....and yes i am stupid for taking it back i shouldnt have but i felt bad cuz i thought something just went wrong.....i didnt find out bout the oil til the next day

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post

I feel for you but .
    wow just wow.
    Yep

+1

Sell cars - AS IS.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

So since he screwed you over, if he messages you about it mention that he screwed you over and you will be having it investigated. Now that he will never message you again, fix the car and get rid of it, who knows what else the kid did to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Yep

+1

Sell cars - AS IS.
    well this pretty much *****s up my getting the sti this weekend :-/.....my mechanic is going to lower my motor to let m know how bad it is ill let u guys know....thanks for the advices though lol

i don't think you should sell your car for $4,000 either. maybe $8000-$9000?

i mean it has full sti drivetrain swapped into it which is like $5000 itself.

(i was guess-timating all those numbers )
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #524
    "Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"

seriously.
    i'll give you 4500 cash for it or even just for the drivetrain.
    assuming it has gear oil in it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm like Micah. When I sell a car, I note on the bill of sale: AS IS - NO WARRANTY IMPLIED OR AVAILABLE.

As for the engine just going kaput - have no fear my friend - it can AND WILL. I'm living proof. 2002 WRX, 61k miles, seriously religious about servicing the car.. cruising lightly along, DONE. Oil pump took a chit, no IDIOT/OIL light ever came on. 6 months and many thousands later, I'm finally back on the road. FWIU, several EJ205s have done this. As for where your oil went - I've got no idea. Mine was the same way, but had a miniscule amount of oil in it.. weird.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Did you already give him his money back? Is so, you've been taken. If not, then keep it and tell him that it's his car now and his problem.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast