97 Subaru WRX STI ver 4 idle problems

This is a discussion on 97 Subaru WRX STI ver 4 idle problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All I'm happy to be part of your forum. I have a problem with my suby and was wondering ...

97 Subaru WRX STI ver 4 idle problems

Hi All

I'm happy to be part of your forum.

I have a problem with my suby and was wondering if youd be able to help me with it.

Its the idling at stand still. Its ok when its cold it idles at 1000rpm roughly with is great but when its been running for awhile ill pull up to lights and the rev's drop so low it cuts the motor out. quite embassarsing lol. if it dosent cut out it drops to 100rpm or so then raises to about 800rpm is this right???

Thanks,

Brad Simmo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsimmo View Post
    Hi All

I'm happy to be part of your forum.

I have a problem with my suby and was wondering if youd be able to help me with it.

Its the idling at stand still. Its ok when its cold it idles at 1000rpm roughly with is great but when its been running for awhile ill pull up to lights and the rev's drop so low it cuts the motor out. quite embassarsing lol. if it dosent cut out it drops to 100rpm or so then raises to about 800rpm is this right???

Thanks,

Brad Simmo
    I'm not sure if it's relative to your vehicle, but I was having a similar problem with my '02. Turned out to be the throttle position sensor.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

throttle position sensor?

hi where is this usally located?

I Support ClubWRX

You can't really see it in this pic, but it is attached to the side of the throttle body ( background of white circle) the red circle shows the harness attachment.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts