Air conditioner doesn't turn on - 2004 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Air conditioner doesn't turn on - 2004 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a 2004 WRX recently. Montana weather got hot enough to where I wanted to use the A/C. Well ...

Air conditioner doesn't turn on - 2004 WRX

I bought a 2004 WRX recently. Montana weather got hot enough to where I wanted to use the A/C. Well guess what? It didn't turn on. That is, the compressor doesn't come on and the RPMs don't increase by 500. Plus I hear nothing "kick in" and the blowing air never got colder.

I tested the power at the in-cab fuse box; it was good. I tested the power at the power connector on top of the compressor; nothing. I replaced the relay in the under-the-hood fuse box. It was only 10 bucks and I wanted to make sure that it wasn't the cause. Still no compressor turning on and no power at the contact.

I know some (most?) cars' A/C systems have a cut-off switch somewhere on the A/C line that switches the power off if the pressure is too low. Does anyone know where that switch is or how to test it?

I hooked my tactrix cable up and used Enginuity 0.4.1 (www.romraider.com) logger and checked all 4 of the A/C options. I did it at idle. Here are those results:

Air Conditioning Switch: Remained at zero entire time
    Air-Con Compressor Signal: Remained at zero entire time
    Air-Con Mid Pressure Switch: Remained at zero entire time
    Air-Con Lock Signal: Remained at zero entire time

I repeatedly turned the blower on with A/C on and off with temp set to the coldest level. I'm guessing the lock signal would have read 1 if what I believe about the pressure being too low is true.

Can anyone give me some further ideas? I don't think the compressor is dead, at least I really hope it isn't since they are ~$300 new.

Also, in Enginuity logger, is battery voltage of 12.24v bad when the engine is off and the ignition is on? While idling it was 14.08.
    Last edited by snake2332; 03-13-2008 at 06:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Wait, does the system have freon for sure?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I don't actually know. Should a put a glove on and just tap one of the pressure releases on it? I see the red cap is missing (blue cap present labeled "L").
    Last edited by snake2332; 03-13-2008 at 06:49 PM.

You did all that without hooking a simple set of gauges up first?

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Haha, you jerk! Laugh it up, buttercup. I don't have a high-pressure gauge and I thought the air-con lock signal would show a value of 1 if it had no pressure in the line. Am I wrong? Plus it's not like I did "all that". All I did was test 2 connections for power and bought a measly $10 part. Then checked in Enginuity which I was using anyway for other reasons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by snake2332 View Post
    I don't actually know. Should a put a glove on and just tap one of the pressure releases on it? I see the red cap is missing (blue cap present labeled "L").
    There's a H igh and a L ow side. Opening the needle valve (like deflating a bicycle tyre) with something like a screwdriver end might give you a crude estimate (you'll know if it's empty, not if it's low). The textbook way of doing it is to hook up a gauge set; I believe these can be rented.

Quote Originally Posted by snake2332 View Post
    thought the air-con lock signal would show a value of 1 if it had no pressure in the line. Am I wrong?
    Sorry I don't know.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I might have to buy a gauge for it, especially if it might be a leaking system. I am taking the car to the local Subaru dealership Monday for a diagnosis.

I Support ClubWRX
    A few years back some cars experienced expansion valve issues also; another thing to keep in mind.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.