WRX Clunk and Hesitation Problems
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX Clunk and Hesitation Problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just picked up an 04 WRX with 32k on it. I bought it about a week and a half ...

WRX Clunk and Hesitation Problems

I just picked up an 04 WRX with 32k on it. I bought it about a week and a half ago and Im thinking I might have a couple issues. First, when I'm in a lower gear (1st or 2nd) and just crawling along, If I let off the gas I get a THUD or CLUNKING noise (sounds like its from rear dif or tranny.. cant tell). This also happens as soon as I get back on the gas in just the littlest way. I'm not sure if this is bad bushings, or I'm just not used to the AWD drivetrain yet. This doesn't happen later on while cruising in other gears, seems likes it's just 1st/2nd.

Next, when I'm driving regularly again, and I give it partial throttle (usually from 2nd to 3rd) the engine seems like it hesitates or bucks a bit. I feel it mostly on my gas pedal and I don't get any CELs. I read something about 2004s having a few problems but it seems like they were in the 5k RPM ranger where mine is down low. If I give it more gas then its usually fine.

Lastly, this is my first manual transmission and I need a few pointers. What RPMs does everyone shift at for normal driving? I usually shift around 3k but I want to make sure thats ok. Another question, when cruising a parking lot a very slow speeds, what gear should I be in and is there a way to make it so my car doesnt shudder? (Im usually in 2nd because the car doesnt like going into first if its moving)

I know Im asking alot of questions but I figured Id post in 1 thread instead a a million, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is the stock drivetrain really sloppy?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Srimps View Post
    I just picked up an 04 WRX with 32k on it. I bought it about a week and a half ago and Im thinking I might have a couple issues. First, when I'm in a lower gear (1st or 2nd) and just crawling along, If I let off the gas I get a THUD or CLUNKING noise (sounds like its from rear dif or tranny.. cant tell). This also happens as soon as I get back on the gas in just the littlest way. I'm not sure if this is bad bushings, or I'm just not used to the AWD drivetrain yet. This doesn't happen later on while cruising in other gears, seems likes it's just 1st/2nd.

Probably a little of both. The bushings for the rear differential are pretty much crap IMHO. Look at the rear end stuff at the bottom of this page: http://www.turninconcepts.com/index....80_484&&page=2

Next, when I'm driving regularly again, and I give it partial throttle (usually from 2nd to 3rd) the engine seems like it hesitates or bucks a bit. I feel it mostly on my gas pedal and I don't get any CELs. I read something about 2004s having a few problems but it seems like they were in the 5k RPM ranger where mine is down low. If I give it more gas then its usually fine.

Could be a bunch of stuff, is the car modified?

Lastly, this is my first manual transmission and I need a few pointers. What RPMs does everyone shift at for normal driving? I usually shift around 3k but I want to make sure thats ok. Another question, when cruising a parking lot a very slow speeds, what gear should I be in and is there a way to make it so my car doesnt shudder? (Im usually in 2nd because the car doesnt like going into first if its moving)

Use the clutch more - push it in to coast or decellerate at very low speeds. Don't go from gas to no gas or no gas to gas with the clutch out or the car will lurch a bit and you will get the clunk more too. First is a bit better at real low speeds but don't force the issue.

I know Im asking alot of questions but I figured Id post in 1 thread instead a a million, thanks!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thanks, Ill look into the bushings asap.

As for modified, it not at all to my knowledge, everything looks stock.

The other day I went out and tried to start the car and it wouldn't fire up. The engine cranked fine but it seemed like there was no spark or fuel. I don't know if the hesitation has anything to do with this or what? I waited a second, and then it fired up no problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.