Crazy air/fuel gauge

This is a discussion on Crazy air/fuel gauge within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My air/fuel gauge is nuts. I wasn't the one who installed it, so I'm trying to figure out what exactly ...

Question Crazy air/fuel gauge

My air/fuel gauge is nuts. I wasn't the one who installed it, so I'm trying to figure out what exactly the problem is. At first it seemed to jump around randomly (it's electronic), but after watching it for about a mile it seems to have some pattern to it, but nothing I can solve. When I accelerate in first gear it drops down, saying I'm running very lean. WRONG FOR SURE. When I keep a steady pace in any gear it goes bonkers.. up, down, up, down. The car came equipped with a blitz electronic boost controller, and I set it to stock boost just to keep things simple. Sure enough when I did that nothing changed with my crazy gauge. The car runs smooth, and accelerates smooth, except first gear of course. Almost feels like the computer is cutting fuel three quarters of the way through first gear (because of that damn gauge), but I'm no pro, and wouldn't trust my own diagnosis. The sensor is located kinda far back I thought, about directly under the passenger seat (dunno which pipe that is..yet). Anyway does anyone have any advice for this??
    03 WRX
    Bugeye Mafia Member #169

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I bet it's pretty accurate a looking at the factory 02 sensor readings. If the car is or ever was catless those reading could look like crap. They don't tell you anything and aren't used for anything the ECU does except at idle. It makes for a cool looking gage though.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you really want to know what your air-fuels are get a wideband O2 sensor.

Ah. Thanks for the wisdom
    03 WRX
    Bugeye Mafia Member #169