motor oil additives?

This is a discussion on motor oil additives? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone use any motor oil additives when doing an oil change? And if so what do you guys recommend?...

motor oil additives?

Does anyone use any motor oil additives when doing an oil change? And if so what do you guys recommend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    At best they're unnecessary.

Use an oil that meets the specifications set in your owner's manual and keep the oil change interval stated in the manual. Find something available locally for a price you are comfortable with, follow the manual, and go on with life.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks. I was talking with a subie tech and he said they usually use an additive to help with turbo performance/life, so i just wanted a little feedback. He didnt say what he uses though and i just want to keep this motor running strong.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ask exactly what (s)he uses and how it fits in with Subaru's stated policy on oil additives (their suggestions boil down to "forget it" and are in the owner's manual if memory serves).

I'm skeptical that there will be any data to support the additive use, but if there are and they show meaningful reduction in wear rates, even I would buy the stuff -- and the wear rates I've measured on my motor are very low anyway.

EDIT: A while back, I was discussing some oil analysis data via email with T. Dyson, who suggested his additive could reduce wear in my motor even more. I thought about this for a bit, and concluded that even if I were to accept the claim at face value -- and I have no reason not to, as his insights and contributions have certainly gained my respect -- I still don't see a need for the additive. If a motor is seeing single-digit wear rates, halving those rates is IMO meaningless; something else will fail before the motor does, making motor longevity as it relates to oil a moot point IMO.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-11-2008 at 01:16 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

cool thanks for the input