MY 02 WRX has a really rough idol

This is a discussion on MY 02 WRX has a really rough idol within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i've got an 02 wrx and it runs fine except when i'm at a stoplight and it's idoling. the idol ...

MY 02 WRX has a really rough idol

i've got an 02 wrx and it runs fine except when i'm at a stoplight and it's idoling. the idol is real rough and the car shakes a bit more than it should. also sounds like the rpm's are a bit lower than they should also be at. anyone have any suggestions for me to check out before i take it to subaru to get the darn check engine light off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles do you have on it? Any mods?

Throttle body cleaning helps my idle and startup issues, but I also have a lightened flywheel and noticed it doesn't idle as nicely as before.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

Banned
    I bet it's a bad O2 sensor. BUt w/out more info it is imposible to tell.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcoretyler2 View Post
    i've got an 02 wrx and it runs fine except when i'm at a stoplight and it's idoling. the idol is real rough and the car shakes a bit more than it should. also sounds like the rpm's are a bit lower than they should also be at. anyone have any suggestions for me to check out before i take it to subaru to get the darn check engine light off?
    Since you have a CEL on, go to an auto parts store and have the code pulled for free. Post the code. Also post any modifications or history.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thump

i had the same problem about 2 months ago.. it ended up being a timing belt tensioner that had gone bad.. causing the timing belt to thump a little bit. might be time for a new timing belt by the time you replace the tensioner...

Banned
    maybe it is a Billy Idol or your air filter is extremely dirty and clogged, causing a spittering and sputtering...if you check your CEL and it comes up with P0301..02..03.....then maybe you have ****ty sparkplugs in the beast

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Since you have a CEL on, go to an auto parts store and have the code pulled for free. Post the code. Also post any modifications or history.
    Took it in, subi wasn't positive on the code so the master techs gunna check it out tomorrow to find out for sure. but my CEL was on do to misfiring.

Edit: Also car has a clean history, no accidents. Mods are listed in profile.
    Last edited by hardcoretyler2; 03-13-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Are you running a stock or lightened flywheel? What kinda EM are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by 02subarex View Post
    Are you running a stock or lightened flywheel? What kinda EM are you using?
    i'm running a lightened flywheel. and Greddy EM

hmmm. ... funny you said , you get rough idol at stops and such. Just few days ago i was reading about IACV "Intake Air Control Valve". Has to do with rough idol and such.

Search "IACV" i belive i found tons of good info at nasioc.com

Its a pertty easy job to do... but has few VERY Imprtant steps.

Such as: MAKE SURE you get a new gasket.
    -- the screws to remove the iacv are VERY VERY sensitive. And are damaged pretty easily, so recommended buying new ones 5mm by 20mm long.
    -- cleaning out item with gas/alcochol/ etc..
    -- after reassebly ( DO NOT WOT ). Let car warm up, drive slow for 10miles etc..

Anyway, go search "IACV" Tons of great info on it. And sounds like that might be your problem. By the way, someone had this done at a STEALERSHIP (charged them 500$ LOL).

hope this help.s

-dave

Quote Originally Posted by ezzzey View Post
    hmmm. ... funny you said , you get rough idol at stops and such. Just few days ago i was reading about IACV "Intake Air Control Valve". Has to do with rough idol and such.

Search "IACV" i belive i found tons of good info at nasioc.com

Its a pertty easy job to do... but has few VERY Imprtant steps.

Such as: MAKE SURE you get a new gasket.
    -- the screws to remove the iacv are VERY VERY sensitive. And are damaged pretty easily, so recommended buying new ones 5mm by 20mm long.
    -- cleaning out item with gas/alcochol/ etc..
    -- after reassebly ( DO NOT WOT ). Let car warm up, drive slow for 10miles etc..

Anyway, go search "IACV" Tons of great info on it. And sounds like that might be your problem. By the way, someone had this done at a STEALERSHIP (charged them 500$ LOL).

hope this help.s

-dave
    lol, stealership. i hear ya on that one.
    thanks for that, i was starting to think it was a dirty air filter or something along those lines. ill definately check out IACV and let ya know if thats whats going on.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoretyler2 View Post
    lol, stealership. i hear ya on that one.
    thanks for that, i was starting to think it was a dirty air filter or something along those lines. ill definately check out IACV and let ya know if thats whats going on.
    np.... the gasket shouldnt be to expensive.. and the install was quite easy if you follow the steps.

If that is your problem and you end up fixing it. +1000
    If its not your problem, well...
    -you learn one more thing about your car and the IACV
    -and you saved yourself a LOT of money by doing it yourself

so its a win win, situation for you +1000

-dave

Quote Originally Posted by ezzzey View Post
    np.... the gasket shouldnt be to expensive.. and the install was quite easy if you follow the steps.

If that is your problem and you end up fixing it. +1000
    If its not your problem, well...
    -you learn one more thing about your car and the IACV
    -and you saved yourself a LOT of money by doing it yourself

so its a win win, situation for you +1000

-dave
    thanks again man, i'll let ya know.

tyler